Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

We know individual trees adapt to their environment, ie the stunted tree on a fellside. Oak, Ash, Sycamore, Rowan etc can do this and survive for many years because they are already some what adapted to this climate, but you would not expect to see a Catalpa up there. It would take many more years of adaptation to populate the hillside, if it could propagate at all.

I'm not sure that this is the same thing as a tree developing a physiological response to hard pruning that facilitates greater resistance with successive pruning cycles.

Oak/rowan etc have an evolutionary adaptation that allows them to survive in harsh conditions - conditions which themselves dictate the adapted form we see on fellsides and so on.

Similarly, many trees have an evolutionary adaptation that allows regrowth following branch loss - we know this as the presence of adventitious buds.

Re the post about embryonic tissue earlier - would you not say that this is activated rather than produced as a reaction to pruning?

Re the post about embryonic tissue earlier - would you not say that this is activated rather than produced as a reaction to pruning?

its both isnt it, I mean a period of growth of cell division involves the production of merisstematic tissues, it is only after they become differentiated that they either cease to be produced or are active.

its the embroyonic capacity of trees that leads to their sometimes never ending life cycles like those of limes for instance.

I think the main point is that wound wood, which is again merristematic Flush cuts and tears) as opposed to the occlusion of a stub end with normal division within the cambium (it has to go somewhere)

Its partly this portion of the trees biology that makes the conflicts in these discussions, and why I am of the opinion veteranisation techniques have their place and a very limited place at that.

The difference between the over pruned crowd and me is that I was up close and personal with each tree and know that cuts where made in full agreement with BS standards bar de foliation principles which I have long know are not as important as the maintenance of active channels from shoot to root. depending on species of course.

The living connection between roots and shoots which Dr Lonsdale so eloquently described in Cumbria a few weeks back.

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

what was the works purpose, strictly fauna/longevity?

nic job:thumbup1:

Exactly that Hama! We had to do a good bit of scribing to promote epicormic and natural habitat features, the tree looked beaten but it will come back well so far what we done last year has proven to come back really well with just little bit of scribing.

Exactly that Hama! We had to do a good bit of scribing to promote epicormic and natural habitat features, the tree looked beaten but it will come back well so far what we done last year has proven to come back really well with just little bit of scribing.

Would you care to expand on your scribing please? Do you mean you scribed last year to promote epicormic before reducing this year :confused:

Ta very muchly...