Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Sorry Tony, I dont agree with your theory.

Epicormic reaction in my experience occurs as a shock reaction not light reaction.

...and it was not my first reduction the other day, it was my first ever topping.

I have carried out hundreds of reductions

and didnt I say SOMEWHAT, as in a part of the reaction?

I know many will have trouble with this view of light reactive layers in the bark, but give me a few years, promise you:thumbup1:

Do you believe then that within two years when the outer crown is a ball of foliage shading out the inner crown that the foliage area has been re established and therefore epi production ceases?

Do you believe then that within two years when the outer crown is a ball of foliage shading out the inner crown that the foliage area has been re established and therefore epi production ceases?

No I believe epicormic production stops when the tree produces enough to replace the foliage lost, if it were produce to light the lower truck would produce epi all the time

No I believe epicormic production stops when the tree produces enough to replace the foliage lost, if it were produce to light the lower truck would produce epi all the time

If you pollarded a tree yes epi would sprout from the main stem, but it is exposed to light gradualy as the tree loses its lower foliage and or has it removed, it is also shaded for at least a good portion of the day at various points on its circumference. If you pollard (high) epi often sprouts on the stem, especialy if this has been shaded out by a large crown.

and finaly, WHY then do the ATF recomend pruning surounding trees when restoring a pollard?

maybe its because of the epi response to light! and it being supressed by shade!

and finaly, WHY then do the ATF recomend pruning surounding trees when restoring a pollard?

maybe its because of the epi response to light! and it being supressed by shade!

monkeyd did that last year, a very good thread with pics, he will be along soon with them hopefully. he got the guys to reduce nieghbouring trees to encourage even growth on smaller stuff:thumbup1:

and finaly, WHY then do the ATF recomend pruning surounding trees when restoring a pollard?!

The do recommend, but over haloing can have disastrous effects, hence a number of big veteran oaks at BB demising a couple of years after over exposure.

Bizarely the Beech, thinner bark, survived beter than the Oak :confused1: