Hamas big reduction/pruning thread!

Well yeah, thanks for taking the effort;

If in a situation where an Oak say was to be reduced, first by thinning to produce epicormic then a series of maybe two reductions after two or three years to these points.

The rub for me is why not just go back to the desired point in the first place and let the epicormic flush?

Rip off the plaster in one go as it were. Reducing the amount of wounds over the years. (Plus cost to the client!)

This tree is in my garden, I cut it to shape not specific growth points 4 years ago.

Came back from blind ends lovely.

Yours Devils Advocate.

597663940284c_pascalgorce003.jpg.4d39660912008d8625da45b91993f3ef.jpg

Well yeah, thanks for taking the effort;

If in a situation where an Oak say was to be reduced, first by thinning to produce epicormic then a series of maybe two reductions after two or three years to these points.

The rub for me is why not just go back to the desired point in the first place and let the epicormic flush?

Rip off the plaster in one go as it were. Reducing the amount of wounds over the years. (Plus cost to the client!)

This tree is in my garden, I cut it to shape not specific growth points 4 years ago.

Came back from blind ends lovely.

Yours Devils Advocate.

It was young and was almost guaranteed to flush, had this been a mature tree and the desired reduction points would have left 6 inch wide "blinds" you would have found 50% failed to flush or flushed at a point around a meter below the cut with a dead stub as a result, and a second climb needed anyway, as well as multiple shoots derived from a singular point, weakly attached and competing. By doing it in a gradual "tree time" centred way, even growths can be selected at various points, leaving each with their own space and place and more natural regrowth rather than a sudden starvation and flush scenario, which by the way leads to total shading of the interior and an overly dense canopy which also requires a second climb to thin!

there is no arguments, treework is not a one hit operation most of the time its cyclic, and if its cyclic it might as well be in natural rythym and empathy:thumbup1:

• 2 weeks later...
It was a bit damp but not gushing out. Tbh there wasn't many big cuts, maybe four. I think if you went or a 30% it would have turned the garden in to a swamp with all the sap.

Sent using my pudgy fingers on my phone.

I wouldnt be concerned about bleeding on a prune that light either:thumbup1:

This avenue of mainly Horse chestnuts, some sycamores has been rounded over many times and pollarded many many moons ago, the board had decided they had had enough of the ugly butchered look of the previous contractor and got us in on local rep to try and restore some form. The trees are suffering with HCBC (horse chestnut bleeding canker) and many are due to be felled, some already and replaced with some nice trees from either majestic or barchams cant remember which norway maples rather than horse.

weve done a few in the road now, this is not an easy job, very little to work with internally as they are so dense, and with HCBC deadwood galore.

the other firm are cheaper on the fells so we arent being asked to do that work, but the price would appear to be less important when it comes to the aesthetic side of the operations, so just goes to show, quality does count for a lot, even when its a bit pricier:thumbup1:

597663b930b17_polardrestore001.jpg.75f7228e9ed60d767ebc11b61d7dc2cc.jpg

597663b9352af_polardrestore002.jpg.46594f609f9ceec3120a961f3ad74713.jpg

597663b938610_polardrestore013.jpg.ffec8e802cc674c23237ef95af4bf3c7.jpg

597663b93b7e8_polardrestore017.jpg.853b348d9d8393a99629059ee96f3a39.jpg

597663b93e135_polardrestore020.jpg.54a8e41cfee1356a45475403a7a24f62.jpg