Accidents in Treework

Again the sense of community, concern, camararderie (spelling?), openess and genuine sincerity for each others wellbeing and safety here on 'Arbtalk' is nothing short of amazin and I'm touched (G*d, I'll have you all blubberin next!)!QUOTE]

where's me 'ankie.

I seem to have something in my eye........cough, cough :001_tongue:

Paul, as you're quite obviously picking up on, for all Arbtalks foibles, it is first & foremost "The Tree community"

With the greatest respect to other arboricultural forums, nothing has come closer to uniting, engaging & putting a human face on those within all the different aspects of our beloved industry.

It really is great having someone like you on board, who has a good balance of humility, humour & proffesionality.

Imho, (and reaching for those little paper dabbers) your (AA) presence is nothing short of inspiring :thumbup1:

I'm sure "they" realise already, but please don't let your bosses ever lose sight of the potential you're creating here.

......right, I'm off to kill me some kittens !

D

David thank you.

I, and the AA, simply want what we all do in 'good quality tree care' as the norm and a professional service (AKA 'THE Tree Community') undertaken by a united and coherent industry to benefit society, and I believe we are well placed to facilitate this...I do however wholly accept we need to 'up our game' and prove this, as we haven't done that great to date, but give us/me a chance and we will.

Best regards..

Paul

PS 'Awwww poor wittle pussies...miaowwww!'

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"......To put these figures into a wider context, tree work has an accident rate higher than that of the construction industry......"[/b].

Not wanting to be negative about the thread and I completely understand how serious of an accident we can have and have had can the above really be true?

Comparing tree work with construction industry doesnt seem to be equal to me tbh.ie as someone already stated tree work covers a vast area from diy to landscaping to proffesional tree surgeons whereas construction industry is a lot more controlled. I dont think I am getting my point across very clear tbh! Or I might have no point at all:001_smile:

Anyhow its that I just think statements like that add fuel to the fire for HSE to continue pulling down our industry to the cotton wool realms of safety.

It is scary though when you read and see some of the accidents that others have had on here!

Last time I looked at some HSE stats the was a massive difference between the amount of employees who had injuried compared to the amount of self employed people. It seemed that either employees where reckless, self employed extremely careful or self employed being extremly hush hush when it comes to informing the HSE.

I know what my guess would be :sneaky2:

Good post though never hurts to be reminded now and then. :thumbup1:

Not wanting to be negative about the thread and I completely understand how serious of an accident we can have and have had can the above really be true?

Comparing tree work with construction industry doesnt seem to be equal to me tbh.ie as someone already stated tree work covers a vast area from diy to landscaping to proffesional tree surgeons whereas construction industry is a lot more controlled. I dont think I am getting my point across very clear tbh! Or I might have no point at all:001_smile:

Anyhow its that I just think statements like that add fuel to the fire for HSE to continue pulling down our industry to the cotton wool realms of safety.

It is scary though when you read and see some of the accidents that others have had on here!

Last time I looked at some HSE stats the was a massive difference between the amount of employees who had injuried compared to the amount of self employed people. It seemed that either employees where reckless, self employed extremely careful or self employed being extremly hush hush when it comes to informing the HSE.

I know what my guess would be :sneaky2:

Good post though never hurts to be reminded now and then. :thumbup1:

I am suprised at this response, especialy from mesterh.

It is a fair comparisom, if you as they do, compare numbers employed to accident ratios, i think there is over 2 million employed in construction? Paul help me out here! and how many in arb? 250,ooo? I doubt it

I am suprised at this response, especialy from mesterh.

It is a fair comparisom, if you as they do, compare numbers employed to accident ratios, i think there is over 2 million employed in construction? Paul help me out here! and how many in arb? 250,ooo? I doubt it

I think you didnt get my point mate.

It was this,

Tree work related can mean Mr Smith falling off a ladder whilst cutting his tree in his garden.

Construction industry would not include Mr Smith falling off a ladder while putting some felt on his roof.

I would like to be proved wrong though so please do:001_smile:

I do not say that what we do is not dangerous, in fact I say the opposite and have been slapped down for it in the past.

I would just rather not have all tree work related deaths and injuries pushed into the professional side of our business. It doesnt do our industry any favours whatsoever.