Chinese Varnish Tree - HELP PLEASE!

AA Teccie (Paul)

Dear all,

As you may be aware the HSE, periodically, produce the 'Tree Work News' ebulletin which is avalaible on theior webiste or you can subscribe to it and they'll send direct.

The latest edition has just been circulated and reports another injury/incident to an arborsit coming into contact with sap from the Chinese Varnish Tree (Toxicodendron verniciflua) This tree (I saw photo's of the first chap affected and it was bad, very bad!) is one to be avoided or to take very great care with with full PPE and, ideally, working on during the dormant season when the sap isn't so active.

BUT, first of all, we need to positively identify it, which isn't that easy (not sure I would readily be able to do so either) HSE did include a photo in a previous 'Arb News' edition see http://www.hse.gov.uk/agriculture/pdf/arboc06.pdf.

My plea is to those who do know this tree, and have access to it for photographing purposes (in particular now whilst it's dormant for twig/bud ident), can you please do so and email me direct '[email protected]'.

I then propose to approach Chris Skellern of the 'Arb Info Exchange' website, a very valuable on-line arb resource (as this is but with a different focus) to hold a gallery to aid identification for everyone to view.

PLEASE HELP if you can.

thank you in anticipation

Paul

PS I apologise if there is a facility here on 'Arbtalk' to host this gallery which I am unaware of, but if so please shout and we can maybe host it there too.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great heads up Paul.

Thanks for posting. :thumbup1:

Don't know of any local to me, so can't get any I'd shots.

But will have a look out for one.

I went and stupidly got myself pretty badly burnt with Giant Hogweed when I was a naive indestructable youth, was in bed in quite a lot of discomfort for a week. Big puss filled blisters all over my legs, stomach & back.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst......

AIE is a very good site, have in the past used it myself many times.

Would also be good to post any shots here as a sticky, in the Tree Health forum.

Will see if I can steve to open up a sub forum for related toxic/poisonous Arb related species.

D

Over here, I've never seen or heard of one being planted in the area.

Do you have poison-oak or poison-ivy in the UK area?

Poison-oak, Poison oak. Poison Oak Photos. Images. Urushiol. Rash Information

Although we don't have the varnish tree or Chinese lacquer tree, I added mention on that page. May try to find public domain image sometime.

Poison-oak is the most prevalent along the Pacific coast area where I'm at.

:001_smile:

Great heads up Paul.

Thanks for posting. :thumbup1:

Don't know of any local to me, so can't get any I'd shots.

But will have a look out for one.

I went and stupidly got myself pretty badly burnt with Giant Hogweed when I was a naive indestructable youth, was in bed in quite a lot of discomfort for a week. Big puss filled blisters all over my legs, stomach & back.

Wouldn't wish it on my worst......

AIE is a very good site, have in the past used it myself many times.

Would also be good to post any shots here as a sticky, in the Tree Health forum.

Will see if I can steve to open up a sub forum for related toxic/poisonous Arb related species.

D

Thanks 'MD', this one does worry me for everyone's sake and the more we can do to psoitively id it, AND include a photo gallery wheerever we can, the better for all.

I may see a bit 'OTT' but honestly is was as exactlly as James said just like acid had been poured on the skin...terrible!

Cheers..

Paul