uncontrolled burn so they say!!

THE88MAN

thoughts on this one guys please.my farmer mate has about 30 acres of poplar plantation planted about 7 years ago.he also has a green waste site that he has just leased out to SITA.they want to extend it swallowing about 2 acres of the pops.spent tuesday knocking over the pops and him pushing them up to burn.i'm elsewhere now and he rings tonight saying fire brigade turned up (tip off) to put fire out,they said he can keep burning if he mans it for 48hrs!! its 1/2 mile from main road/footpath,the ground is saturated so the risk to me seems very low.he lost his rag and told them to put it out.does a controlled burn have to be manned for that long? is it on fire size? petty i thought :confused1:

fire officer told me when we informed him of a controlled burn we were doing , that they can turn up and put it out even if your there and its under control if they want to - in their eyes, so i was told, there is no such thing as a controlled burn even if your there and it is under control:confused1:

Ive always thought a controlled burns is when you have means to extinguish the fire yourself...

We burnt up a caravan and old lorry body once, biggest fire ive ever seen lol firebrigade turned up and said now there at the sceane they need to put it out. Luckily my dad new a bunch of the firemen and we got away with it and left it burning.

You would have no insurance cover if it was unmanned.
thanks skyhuck,that maybe explains why one of first questions on insurance quotes is about burning.i've been hedgerow coppicing for last 3 weeks and although my fires are down to ash when i knock off they smoulder for up to a week,nominal risk though IMO,only to tresspassers

thanks skyhuck,that maybe explains why one of first questions on insurance quotes is about burning.i've been hedgerow coppicing for last 3 weeks and although my fires are down to ash when i knock off they smoulder for up to a week,nominal risk though IMO,only to tresspassers

My insurance states I must put out any fires one hour before we leave site.

I have left fires burning when I've left site, but only when they are quite low and on sites that I feel are OK, but I know I'm taking a risk.

My insurance states I must put out any fires one hour before we leave site.

I have left fires burning when I've left site, but only when they are quite low and on sites that I feel are OK, but I know I'm taking a risk.

ditto,my farmer mate is no fool and a very modern,consciencious guy,i advised him about the burnand told him pop takes a bit of getting going so he might need a couple of tyres or some waste oil (:blushing:) he used neither and manned it all day,more than likely would've checked it all night at regular intervals.i just think its a bit of an insult to common sense

ditto,my farmer mate is no fool and a very modern,consciencious guy,i advised him about the burnand told him pop takes a bit of getting going so he might need a couple of tyres or some waste oil (:blushing:) he used neither and manned it all day,more than likely would've checked it all night at regular intervals.i just think its a bit of an insult to common sense

Personally... i'd be giving her a few days to dry out a bit then round her up again and get plenty of diesel on there and light her up to finish off.. maybe light her up late at night and make sure it's all gone for the morning...

The fire brigade used to think nothing of letting several hundred tons of straw bales burn themselves out when I lived down south.. and never seem too bothered with big brash fires here either.

Having said that, they're pretty hot on forest fires just about here.