Fuel, fuel and more fuel

Mark_Skyland

1 hour ago, Con said:

Good advice Thanks. I've always used super unleaded since they increased the ethanol. 

Bit of a tangent. Fueled up the transit the other day (diesel). Not at my usual petrol station.  It was low on fuel. Immediately after we left the petrol station engine started pinking/knocking. Maybe coincidence.  It idles, runs, a bit of loss of power. Googled it. Plenty of suggestions that it could be fuel pump solenoid. I'm not convinced.  Changed fuel filter, didn't do anything. Before I go for solenoid, any other suggestions?  Thanks

Sorry, no idea on what the problem could be. I would go down the usual service route first, change the oil and filter, fuel filter etc although you've already done that one. It could be a coincidence as I wouldn't have thought the fuel would cause it but there has been a few situations in the past when a garage has had a dodgy batch of fuel and messed up a lot of vehicles. Lots of diesels have a recirculating exhaust emission valve that can stick, I cant remember the exact name of it but its something that does cause issues.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Lots of diesels have a recirculating exhaust emission valve that can stick, I cant remember the exact name of it but its something that does cause issues.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.

I still cannot understand why an engine with adblue would have one??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.

I still cannot understand why an engine with adblue would have one??

Thanks .:)

EGR valve, that's the one. Block up and cause loads of issues, I had that problem on an old Peugeot of mine, took a lot of scrapping to sort it out.

It also had a dodgy injector that refused to come out, I ran it for awhile with the bolts loose which sorted it out. Theres plenty of you tube videos of people trying to remove stuck injectors!

This is good advice on the OPs first post. I drained a lot of tanks when running much of my business via courier and used to put the fuel through a funnel with a home made fine gauze strainer and used to get loads of sawdust and shyte/old fuel filters out of the tank including water. 

How many find the carb gauze strainer is full of crap and don't go back to draining and straining the fuel tank? You should....a decent post.