Subbing out?

Hello Arb Talkers!

Im Looking For a Spot Of Advice..

Im 20 and A climber with 2 1/2 years climbing Experience Based in Central Scotland.

Im looking At Going out On My Own In The Next 4 Years.

But with A Few Talks With Different People And Advice.  I’ve Been Told To Sub Out On Weekends Etc.

How Did You Who Run Companies All start Out?

Any advice or criticisms Are Welcome.

cheers,

Rory!

In the transition phase you will be busy at your full time job, you will be starting getting your own jobs, you will be subbying out, so you will hopefully be busy and called all ways, hence try to keep all the plates spinning to keep everyone happy. In time the balance will change between the different elements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The advice you have been given is spot on Rory.

If you just jack and go alone too early you won’t have enough work and you will fail.

Loads of old dogs will tell you that’s what they did, but that was then, this is now.

Don’t burn any bridges, I still team up occasionally with the bloke who was good enough to teach me back in the day.

You’re young enough to hack 7 day weeks if you want to get on.

And Learn Not To Capitalise Every Word.

Tons of us are dyslexic, but it won’t come across well when submitting quotes for big jobs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Rory I've just realised this is you mate!

In my opinion keep going as you are just now. You're looked after at work and learning the job from good people, it gives you the chance to build your skills/experience and a network of people to work with.

From what I've seen this last week on site you've got a lot going for you, things that matter to others like good timekeeping, positive attitude, good work ethic. People value these things. And it was good to hear how you value yourself when we talked about pricing.

All the best with it, hope you enjoy yourself tomorrow and the new saw is ok!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Bullman said:

Was it the username that gave him away? 

No actually! Reading the op I thought this is all very familiar, this guy's in the same boat as Rory, oh wait a minute...

In my defence I try not to do thinking at the weekend.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

My first bit of advice is to quit using the term ‘Sub out’.

You won’t be a Bonafide Sub contractor but if you use those terms, companies you work with will say that you need your own insurance.  Insurance companies will gladly take the money from you for your subbing activities.  Might as well send the money to me.  You would have more chance of a payout than from the company who sold it to you.

Use the term Freelance climber or Contract climber.

There are countless threads in here explaining the difference between a bonafide Sub Contractor and Freelance labour who provide their own tools.

Good luck.

• Like 4