Travel, how far is too far?

Donnie

5 minutes ago, scbk said:

Recently I had a couple days work to do about 2hrs drive away. That's 2hrs if you did it first thing in the morning, before the tourists wake up.

I took the hammock and other camping gear to sleep the night in the van, but in the end the very nice folks there gave us the keys to a 1 bed cottage, with a plate of food in the fridge! :bandit:

P1080824x.jpg

You get that kind of welcome in the civilised parts of the union in my experience. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Jake, Can i turn this around and ask what would you do if the firm you worked for went bust,  Got a PLAN B 

Nobody on here can tell you what to do but reading these posts you say will lead to burn out and this can affect everyone around you.

• Like 1

Used to do 4 hours commuting a day (B roads); 2 there and 2 back with 8 hours machine driving in between. Good job it was machine driving and not saw work cos that wd have been too much, esp in winter. These days I can hardly cope with 25-30 miles each way which is 45 minutes of country lanes. Do physical work in the morning and machine driving in the afternoon - keeps things safe. OP - couldn't deal with 110 each way even on the M6 through Cumbria.

• Like 3

On 28/08/2024 at 03:23, topchippyles said:

Hi Jake, Can i turn this around and ask what would you do if the firm you worked for went bust,  Got a PLAN B 

Nobody on here can tell you what to do but reading these posts you say will lead to burn out and this can affect everyone around you.

They won’t. But if they did, I’ve got a bit of my own work to do through management companies but not a whole lot (they’re more maintenance based). 

I could quite easily go freelance to a certain degree although I’m not up to that level yet I’ve still a lot to learn, or so I feel.

Can put down a lot in a day and work hard but heard of other cutters cutting for smaller companies, harvester forwarder type set ups and they weren’t very good at all when they came to work for us. Could do what they did in a day, by breakfast time. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whoppa Choppa said:

Used to do 4 hours commuting a day (B roads); 2 there and 2 back with 8 hours machine driving in between. Good job it was machine driving and not saw work cos that wd have been too much, esp in winter. These days I can hardly cope with 25-30 miles each way which is 45 minutes of country lanes. Do physical work in the morning and machine driving in the afternoon - keeps things safe. OP - couldn't deal with 110 each way even on the M6 through Cumbria.

Aye. Yesterday was 110 mile up north and actually got a lift up in the forwarder which is mega and doesn’t happen very often. 

Here is the top of the hill, van is way beyond the standing trees. 

Took maybe 15 minutes in the forwarder to get there. 

IMG_5317.jpeg

4 hours ago, Donnie said:

Aye. Yesterday was 110 mile up north and actually got a lift up in the forwarder which is mega and doesn’t happen very often.

Have you worked on felling the plantation in preparation for Whitelaw Brae wind-farm?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

Have you worked on felling the plantation in preparation for Whitelaw Brae wind-farm?

Not entirely sure where that is. 

I’ve 15 odd sites on at my work that I hop between.

I’d have no idea if it were being felled for a wind farm or not unfortunately. 

Edited by Donnie

On 29/08/2024 at 21:59, openspaceman said:

15km due north of Moffat

Done a bit up over the Devil’s Beef tub in Badlieu. There was a windfarm in there.

I’ve honestly worked all over and I can barely remember where and what we were doing on each job to be honest…