SRT Basal vs. MRT load differences

MarkBugs

Hi all,

I'm looking to understand the differences on the tie in point between a basal tie off and an MRT system (assuming the same anchor). I know MRT puts 100% of your load on the tie in point, but why does a basal anchor double (~200%) the load? If they are both two ropes coming down? Might be a stupid question but trying to wrap my head around it - thank you.

its because the basal tie acts like a 2;1 pulley system .

this will explain it better than me.

WWW.EDUCATEDCLIMBER.COM

Crane at Prague Castle, photo courtesy of handshouse.org “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” – Arthur C. Clarke   “Mechanical advantage is a...

• Thanks 1

So you've got a rope going over a good branch up in the tree, you are still on the ground. Grab both strands of the rope with both hands, and lift your feet off the ground: 100% of your weight is now on the branch the rope is going over, with each strand carrying 50% of your weight.

Let go of one strand, hold on to the other, and lift your feet again: 100% of your weight is on that one strand, but because there is no counterweight on the other end, none of that load is transferred onto the branch up above, and you land in a heap on the ground. 

Now find a friend who weighs exactly the same as you, and grab a strand each: you've both got 100% of your weight on the strand you are holding, which is carried up to the branch, leaving 200% of YOUR individual weight, or both yours and his. Neither of you collapse onto the ground.

Thank your friend for his time, tell him politely to go away, and tie his strand off on the base of the tree. The tree will now match your 100% weight, leaving 200% up on the branch.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

IGNORING FRICTION, if you pull on a rope, no matter how it is directed, the tension is the same anywhere in the rope, yes??

Now, you tie a rope to the bottom of a tree and throw it over a branch. You now dangle on the rope. Say you weigh 150 pounds..

The tension in the rope is the same everywhere, yes??

So, you now have a rope with a tension of 150 pounds in each "leg" over the branch. The downwards force on the branch can easily be seen to be 300 pounds.

Follow me??

john..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1