"Best" welder for heavy hobby use?

4 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Its the other end of the welding spectrum but a handy feature is the ability to switch the polarity, this is better for gasless welding which is ideal for quick/rough/dirtier/occasional welding or outside or if you run out if gas. I got stung with my cheap MIG, which is a fiddle to switch over. 

Normally done by swapping the earth and gun leads

I am tickled that an inverter MIG like the r-tech 181 can also weld stainless and aluminium, with the appropriate wire/ gas and a spool at the gun for the aluminium. Wow.

btw, the son in law, who lent me his mig also supplied a cutting of .6mm thick shiney bright non rusting looks like SS but it is mild steel. Well confused I am. I can mostly weld this .6mm stuff without blowing holes.

But if I am keeping the Black Bollix, she will defo need replacement cills.

cheers

I used to do a lot of turning this sort of shite

image.gif.486fd3a45cd164b10178e612ce45029c.gif

image.gif.d814bd50f632def927061ff49e9583b7.gif

Into this kind of stuff.

image.thumb.jpeg.b0d8c1cc5435535779c699afd530beb1.jpeg

Clarke 205TE is what I used. Still have it and still use it but for much more agricultural type of welding these days.

.6 wire and Argoshield Lite gas from BOC. 

I think if I was doing much these days I would be looking at R-tech welders but a good used 205TE would not be a bad choice.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Yes the best have the same socket so its a case of switching them over externally. I have to take the cover off and swap wires over internally which is a pain. Or I plan to make new leads.

14 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Its the other end of the welding spectrum but a handy feature is the ability to switch the polarity, this is better for gasless welding which is ideal for quick/rough/dirtier/occasional welding or outside or if you run out if gas. I got stung with my cheap MIG, which is a fiddle to switch over. 

IMHO if you want to use a gasless mig then just get an arc welder and learn that instead. Going hassles removes all the benefits of mig over arc. 

I’d have thought with a euro torch you’d always need to change the wires over internally?

14 hours ago, doobin said:

IMHO if you want to use a gasless mig then just get an arc welder and learn that instead. Going hassles removes all the benefits of mig over arc. 

I’d have thought with a euro torch you’d always need to change the wires over internally?

I have used arc in the past but dont own one anymore. Currently its either MIG with argon mix or gassless. I am a rookie and only get marginally better welds with gas but I quite like the simplicity of gassless with the same setup.