Grab lorrys for tree work

Tree cutter Stu

hi all im really been thinking of buying a 7.5ton grab truck for picking up wood, as smaller trucks can go overweight really easy.

I have already got a mog and i dont really want to get a hiab and trailer for that as its espensive.

Iv been looking on ebay and autotrader and have seen a few for around £7000 mark.

Has anyone got any comments on this or does anyone own a small grab truck. iI doesnt have to be 7.5 ton as im doing my hgv at the moment i was just thinking about if anyone eles had to drive it ???????:wave:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know who you have in mind as the other drivers, Just bare in mind that anyone who passed their cat B car test after 1/1/1997 is limited to a vehicle of 3500kgs gross. So if it was me I'd aim at bigger wagon and if need train the right person to be the second driver.

Unless of course your employees have the older style licence with C1 7.5tonner already on them. Then it may make more sense to have the smaller one.

I don't know who you have in mind as the other drivers, Just bare in mind that anyone who passed their cat B car test after 1/1/1997 is limited to a vehicle of 3500kgs gross. So if it was me I'd aim at bigger wagon and if need train the right person to be the second driver.

Unless of course your employees have the older style licence with C1 7.5tonner already on them. Then it may make more sense to have the smaller one.

I was informed a while back that due to the age of my license (old paper jobby) and the particular time passed (early '91) that I have no weight restrictions upto 12 ton. It was a while ago, and I must admit the exact details are vague, I could do with contacting the person mentioned. But has anyone else heard of similar?

I was informed a while back that due to the age of my license (old paper jobby) and the particular time passed (early '91) that I have no weight restrictions upto 12 ton. It was a while ago, and I must admit the exact details are vague, I could do with contacting the person mentioned. But has anyone else heard of similar?

Took my test in 87,pretty sure mine is 8.4 ton max ie,7.5 ton truck plus 900kg trailer.

Took my test in 87,pretty sure mine is 8.4 ton max ie,7.5 ton truck plus 900kg trailer.

Mmm... I was told it was a loop hole in the licensing system that was soon changed. Sorry for all the speculation, I will contact the person who offerred the information and get back to you with hard facts.

Cheers

Rich.

My original ( pre HGV) license was a 12.5 tonne gross licence, but I believe that it was for european style 7.5 tonne and drawbar rigs.

Sounds similar... but you obviously know more than I.

The reason for asking - I need to upgrade my license from a paper jobby to the new card system. I was told to see the traffic officer at my local nick to get in writing before I upgrade, as the DVLA will take away the lack of restrictions on renewal. Just wanted to get my information straight before I go blabbering to local coppers who would probably think I am just a hippy talking nonsense... :bongsmi:

Cheers