Brushcutter Advice/starting out strimming etc.

Donnie

7 hours ago, doobin said:

Yes, the shredder guard is a decent bit of kit and I'd not want to use the shredder knife without it.

It's also good because it stops bits being missed, you can push it into the brambles like a tiny bulldozer blade and it will all get mulched.

Now it is a bit scary how much the guards and a blade is. Coming in at about 100 pound but I guess they will last a while and the money is in the guard I guess…

I see there is a two pointed shredder knife and I see there is also an Oregon 3 bladed mulching blade. 

Do they do the same thing or is one better than the other?

Sorry if this has been answered in previous posts there is a lot of replies on here

2 hours ago, Donnie said:

Now it is a bit scary how much the guards and a blade is. Coming in at about 100 pound but I guess they will last a while and the money is in the guard I guess…

I see there is a two pointed shredder knife and I see there is also an Oregon 3 bladed mulching blade. 

Sorry if this has been answered in previous posts there is a lot of replies on here

i have done a fair bit with the 2 pointed sthil mulching blade, it worked well, also never used a special mulching guard, iam not saying its no good just not essential, have been hit by a few flying bits mind.

3 hours ago, Donnie said:

I would think that the double knife shredder will be easier to maintain/sharpen and balance than the three knife.
I’ve always used the double without any issues so never bought/used a triple.

The rigid shredder guard on my 555 is still sound after 10 years use. 

Edited by 5thelement

35 minutes ago, carlos said:

i have done a fair bit with the 2 pointed sthil mulching blade, it worked well, also never used a special mulching guard, iam not saying its no good just not essential, have been hit by a few flying bits mind.

Similar here and I only have the shredder guard on the 50CC brushcutter. I mostly use the two prong shredderon an old fs360 with the grass guard. I do always use the cup under the blade, it saves a lot of wear.

It must be four years since I did any serious work with it

On 03/08/2024 at 12:35, Donnie said:

Bought some Oregon 4mm square line for this bracken job. Amazing how many different cords there is… 

Now for my FS461 I’d like a shredder blade to tackle this in my garden and flatten it all down to sticks. 

Will need one with a guard etc?
image.jpeg.0db4d2ae7facc08fed04526b2bad54bf.jpeg

Maybe document it a bit and maybe word will spread. Maybe I’ll get 6 likes on Instagram. Who knows. 

I find in thick stuff, I get more power without a guard and wearing full protection, wellies and chainsaw helmet.  I guess its because the strimmer is able to fling cut material away from the blade easier.

I have used trimmers quite a bit for rail clearance. Would be useful to have a multi head tool for small jobs - I dont plan to be doing any large clearance work. Hate using hedgers as they kill my arms.

I've used backpack blowers and hated wearing them, but like the extra power. That has me wondering if a backpack multi tool would be any good, particually as a hedger, it should be much easier on the arms, but bloody awkward up a ladder.

This sort of thing - unfortunately I dont see any branded versions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSkde-Powerful-Gardening-Backpack-including/dp/B07GLL49DQ

What do you think? Is there a reason Stihl/Husq dont make a backpack one?

The reviews on the amazon are mixed, as always chinese stuff should be considered a loosely assembled box of parts.

Edited by kram

34 minutes ago, kram said:

I have used trimmers quite a bit for rail clearance. Would be useful to have a multi head tool for small jobs - I dont plan to be doing any large clearance work. Hate using hedgers as they kill my arms.

I've used backpack blowers and hated wearing them, but like the extra power. That has me wondering if a backpack multi tool would be any good, particually as a hedger, it should be much easier on the arms, but bloody awkward up a ladder.

This sort of thing - unfortunately I dont see any branded versions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/eSkde-Powerful-Gardening-Backpack-including/dp/B07GLL49DQ

What do you think? Is there a reason Stihl/Husq dont make a backpack one?

The reviews on the amazon are mixed, as always chinese stuff should be considered a loosely assembled box of parts.

Stihl/Husqy do sell backpack strimmers just not backpack multi-tools.  They are more expensive per cc than the equivalent normal design.  Backpack tools (like curved shaft strimmers) transfer the motion using a a flexible cable rather than a rod.  Mechanically the cable has to be weaker and you'll be bending and stressing it with every side to side movement. Full disclosure, I have never used one, but that just feels like a bad idea.  Plus as a multitool, you're introducing a weakness where you swap the heads and it can limit the position of the handles.  Plus you are going for a non brand amazon special with poor reviews.

Personally I'd either buy the tools individually or a non-backpack kombi system from one of the brands - there are loads available- battery/electric/heavy/light etc.

• Like 1

From a hand vibration and weight/stress viewpoint I think it would be much better even if the cable needs frequent replacement, it would be worth it. Your right about bad reviews but its the only backpack one I can see. For normal combi tools there are a few brands available but its likely the same chinese kit.

46 minutes ago, kram said:

From a hand vibration and weight/stress viewpoint I think it would be much better even if the cable needs frequent replacement, it would be worth it. Your right about bad reviews but its the only backpack one I can see. For normal combi tools there are a few brands available but its likely the same chinese kit.

This is probably Chinese too.  Check you can even get hold of a replacement cable.  Parts on things like these are often non-existant.

The only "proper" brand of backpack split shaft multi tools ive seen  are the 2 stroke active brand  italian made ones and the very expensive battery  ones

EGOPOWERPLUS.CO.UK

The backpack battery that works as hard as you do. Work healthier without strains, musculoskeletal problems or...

I don't like the ergonomics of strimmers with loop handles &  the larger modern brand name  brushcutters have  full  anti vibe mounts  so dont think backpacks have any less vibes and they are heavier....

All the no brand china stuff seem to have alot more vibes.