Sherpa vs work quad

Sherpa 100 vs Cast Worky Quad. I know they have been reviewed extensively on the site but I haven’t found much in terms of comparing the two. 

I currently have a Sherpa 100 Agri which I’ve owned for a few years now. Love the machine but I would like to upgrade to something with a larger engine, higher flow rate and some extras like electric start etc. I’ve got my eye on a used Worky Quad SSQ22 that’s going for a reasonable price.

I’ve never really heard anyone say a bad thing about the Sherpas, they’re obviously built to last. I’ve heard mixed reviews on the Worky Quads and the build quality compared to the Sherpa does concern me? 

I can’t comment on flow rate etc. because I only have the WQ SSQ11+, but I have found the build quality to be excellent.

Plenty of metal where it needs to be.

I haven’t had a single issue in over 2 years.

@doobin has the Sherpa and trialled the WQ, so his opinion will be worth getting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I can’t comment on flow rate etc. because I only have the WQ SSQ11+, but I have found the build quality to be excellent.

Plenty of metal where it needs to be.

I haven’t had a single issue in over 2 years.

@doobin has the Sherpa and trialled the WQ, so his opinion will be worth getting.

If your looking secondhand then it will be whatever comes up at the right price. 

id go and look at the worky op is interested in and give it a good demo. I can’t stand their control system compared to a Sherpa, but @luxhas a worky 22 and it’s certainly a solid built machine. Just nowhere near as ergonomic to operate for me. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, doobin said:

If your looking secondhand then it will be whatever comes up at the right price. 

id go and look at the worky op is interested in and give it a good demo. I can’t stand their control system compared to a Sherpa, but @luxhas a worky 22 and it’s certainly a solid built machine. Just nowhere near as ergonomic to operate for me. 

It’s whatever you are used to. At the end of the day you stand on the back of all of them and move a couple of little levers backwards and forwards.  Not much between any of them in terms of that. 

Worky has hydraulic drive and higher flow rate. 
I think the Sherpa is chain drive but they have a whole fleet of new models out now which are probably hydraulic too. Certainly the flow rate of the new ones has been significantly upped if that’s important to what they want to run on it. 

quite honestly stick a picture of any of them on a dart board and pick which one you hit.  They all beat carrying logs and are more reliable than a flakey groundsman with more excuses than a politician 

• Like 3

not to be an idiot and derail but is there a reason it must be a skid and not an avant

even if it's the smallest one, the 220 has the same lift capacity 

the little avants will only lift 1.4 meters high though, if that's an issue

does alot less grass damage 

only saying as i went from an M10x skidster to an Avant 218 and for me, it was alot better, but the lack of lift compared was bad.

got a bigger avant now

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Manufactured in 2019 - Only 192 hours use from new. Twin cylinder Kohler petrol engine. Powered articulated steering. Avant 220 Loader. Can be towed on a trailer. Hydrostatic 4...

4 hours ago, lux said:

It’s whatever you are used to. At the end of the day you stand on the back of all of them and move a couple of little levers backwards and forwards.  Not much between any of them in terms of that. 

Worky has hydraulic drive and higher flow rate. 
I think the Sherpa is chain drive but they have a whole fleet of new models out now which are probably hydraulic too. Certainly the flow rate of the new ones has been significantly upped if that’s important to what they want to run on it. 

quite honestly stick a picture of any of them on a dart board and pick which one you hit.  They all beat carrying logs and are more reliable than a flakey groundsman with more excuses than a politician 

The Sherpa I find much easier to control. I don’t like the type of levers on the worky but that could be changed. 

Regarding drive- Sherpa is hydraulic drive too. One motor per side which then drives the front wheels with a chain. I’m not sure why you think four motors is better? It’s simply not needed and is two extra motors to go wrong (that you are also paying extra for). One motor at double the displacement of a those used in pairs will give the same power/speed. 

But yeah, whatever you buy is better than relying upon labourers. 

3 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

not to be an idiot and derail but is there a reason it must be a skid and not an avant

even if it's the smallest one, the 220 has the same lift capacity 

the little avants will only lift 1.4 meters high though, if that's an issue

does alot less grass damage 

only saying as i went from an M10x skidster to an Avant 218 and for me, it was alot better, but the lack of lift compared was bad.

got a bigger avant now

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Manufactured in 2019 - Only 192 hours use from new. Twin cylinder Kohler petrol engine. Powered articulated steering. Avant 220 Loader. Can be towed on a trailer. Hydrostatic 4...

I think that lift height is pretty limiting, and I would end up sat on my backside far too much rather than stepping on and off to help the job on.

• Like 1

To be honest I have been considering an Avant 220 or a Multione 2.3 - I did even demo a 2.3 and was really taken back by how much more machine you get for your money when comparing it to the mini skids... The only thing that really put me off was how bad their lift heights were and they are just generally a bigger machine. What I like about mini skids are that they are small, light and maneuverable - the main downside being how rough they can be on the ground. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PatrickFirwood said:

To be honest I have been considering an Avant 220 or a Multione 2.3 - I did even demo a 2.3 and was really taken back by how much more machine you get for your money when comparing it to the mini skids... The only thing that really put me off was how bad their lift heights were and they are just generally a bigger machine. What I like about mini skids are that they are small, light and maneuverable - the main downside being how rough they can be on the ground. 

Yeah, there’s no one machine that does it all. I’d stick with mini skids for the tight stuff, my ‘big’ loader is an 8.4 and it’s about as small as I’d want. 

• Like 2