Grading timber course

nooie

Has anyone done a course in timber grading and if so where (Scotland would be best for me)? I'm interested in doing a course to be able to sell graded timber. I have our own wood supply in the Hebrides and the cost to buy from the builders merchants is expensive. I haven't bought any for a while as I'm milling what I need, but been told a 6x2" plank is £45 each!

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Out in the Hebrides

I'm sure even they get deliveries if you're ordering enough. All the houses can't all be salvaged from shipwrecks, there only so much driftwood available for building that wicker man.

Or is it you quoting £45, that's up your neck of the Highlands 😉

Edited by GarethM

5 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I'm sure even they get deliveries if you're ordering enough. All the houses can't all be salvaged from shipwrecks, there only so much driftwood available for building that wicker man.

Or is it you quoting £45, that's up your neck of the Highlands 😉

Yes, they get deliveries. They get deliveries and pay a premium on the product due to their location and additional cost of shipping out to a small island. 

Id want more than £45. :D 

£45, I don't want you giving it away and working for nothing!.

We could send it all via royal mail and he can airfix it together?. Glue and dovetails not included.

• Haha 1

Off topic and no experience of deliveries to the islands, but a few years ago I found a bulk delivery from Inverness to our place on the Scotland west coast (mainland) was more expensive than having the delivery sent to London!

Andrew

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GarethM said:

Someone's pulling your leg, howarth have it listed as £41.98 Inc vat for a 6.9m C24 kiln dried.

Aye, In the Hebrides. Haulage, ferry and then the builders year has to sell it. £41.98 still sounds expensive considering I have very slow growing timber outside my house.

Edited by nooie

4 hours ago, ucoulddoit said:

Off topic and no experience of deliveries to the islands, but a few years ago I found a bulk delivery from Inverness to our place on the Scotland west coast (mainland) was more expensive than having the delivery sent to London!

Andrew

Yup, it's probably easier to senfd to outer Mongolia that Outer Hebrides. I've been told quite a few times over the years that companies "don't send stuff outside the UK". I have to tell them that unfortuntley we are still part of it... ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, nooie said:

Yup, it's probably easier to senfd to outer Mongolia that Outer Hebrides. I've been told quite a few times over the years that companies "don't send stuff outside the UK". I have to tell them that unfortuntley we are still part of it... ;)

postage to Dyce is ok, postage to Turriff is classed as the Highlands and is hit with the subsequent hike in costs. How did the greenheart go in the end ? I milled a few myself which came out lovely.  I saw the replacement timber Bobby had delivered to use up there, nice stuff it looked.