EMF

Johnsond

7 hours ago, Steven P said:

Hydrophilic coating - so that the lines don't get wet and so reduces arcing which is the noise you hear in the wet. Expensive to do but should make them quieter near houses - the noise is only really noticeable for about 50m tops so this will be applied to short sections, the increase in costs won't be that much for the full project costs.

I lived near power lines growing up and never noticed much noise from wind - only electrical discharge

Or they just increase the distance between the wires. Think you'll find the coating will be very very expensive as it's effectively a lacquer on a multi strand construction which actually slides as it moves in the wind, one of the reasons they fail over time.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Problem is we need more reliable base load not renewables, plus not also via another country regardless of how friendly they are at the moment as when they get cold it'll be turned off.

Batteries are not the answer as you've effectively argued we need even more electric!.

Storage is going to be a problem - there is technology out there but it isn't quite right I reckon. Converting to a 'liquid' fuel like hydrogen is probably the best we can do at the moment, the people understand liquid fuels - petrol, gas and so on, and converting infrastructure to store and deliver it won't bas as expensive.

I think the UK can generate enough electricity to run within itself but it needs the whole country to understand and accept that where the power is is not necessarily where the people are. Stepping away from a reliance on foreign powers (for everything) is a good thing

39 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Or they just increase the distance between the wires. Think you'll find the coating will be very very expensive as it's effectively a lacquer on a multi strand construction which actually slides as it moves in the wind, one of the reasons they fail over time.

More distance = bigger towers. I am not sure the economics but suspect a coating for the odd 50m here or there is going to be cheaper than increasing the spacing. Recoating every few years is not a massive task either

For any of those members who refer to it as an inconvenience, imagine having that level of noise constantly during anything other than dry clear weather. The hissing and static is bad enough but the low level drone you hear if you hold the phone to your ear really takes its toll. We have had this since last August. 

8 hours ago, Johnsond said:

For any of those members who refer to it as an inconvenience, imagine having that level of noise constantly during anything other than dry clear weather. The hissing and static is bad enough but the low level drone you hear if you hold the phone to your ear really takes its toll. We have had this since last August. 

I would hate that .

14 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I would hate that .

Me too 

SSEN have destroyed the last 12-13 years of time effort and money that has been invested in our home. When I hear righteous pricks lecturing me about climate change etc id love them to have to live with it for a few months. Needless to say Stubby I want  out and away from it. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Me too 

SSEN have destroyed the last 12-13 years of time effort and money that has been invested in our home. When I hear righteous pricks lecturing me about climate change etc id love them to have to live with it for a few months. Needless to say Stubby I want  out and away from it. 

Idon't blame you . The other problem would be can you sell it ...

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Idon't blame you . The other problem would be can you sell it ...

🤷‍♂️Value has  no doubt been hammered Stubby, I wouldn’t sell it to anyone other than SSEN until this issue is sifted. 

• Like 1