Testing inertia chain brake

tku

Just now, Stubby said:

Does your phone ever " kick back " ? 🙂

Phones have pretty sensitive gyro sensors.

Most phones measure the angle of dangle to a better resolution than a spirit level.

1 minute ago, GarethM said:

Phones have pretty sensitive gyro sensors.

Most phones measure the angle of dangle to a better resolution than a spirit level.

Yea but what do they do . Ive dropped mine a few times and it still works ok . Its an Iphone 11 I think it does have a rughfty/roughfty type case though .

Yup, the two are different, one is the "kickback" of the saw activating on the saw brake guard hitting your hand on the top handle, the "Inertia" brake is as in the vid, a dropping of the saw bar on to a lump of wood to activate the brake. 

My personal opinion is that the saws brake is most likely to activate under kick back so the guard will hit your hand and activate...etc. 

What brand of saw is it? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pleasant said:

A fair point, but I was referring to the saw being in 'normal' operating use, and the operation of it thereof.

I think the OP was referring to testing a function rather than being in ‘normal’ use.

Watch the first test in the video he included, and you’ll see what he’s trying to replicate.

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yea but what do they do . Ive dropped mine a few times and it still works ok . Its an Iphone 11 I think it does have a rughfty/roughfty type case though .

Being electric, I'd expect it to stop the saw.

Maybe remove and insert battery to acknowledge you've been a dumb arse with the saw ?

Just now, GarethM said:

Being electric, I'd expect it to stop the saw.

Maybe remove and insert battery to acknowledge you've been a dumb arse with the saw ?

I was asking about the phones . I may , as you suggest be a dumb arse so , please could you explain what the phones do when they detect an angle of the dangle ?

Yes, I know Bolt, but comparing a chain brake test with a brake band system on a petrol saw against the kick back micro switch system on an electric saw is like comparing apples with pears. The test are completely different as although they both operate via the inertia of a kick back situation you cannot replicate the chain brake test on a petrol saw like in the video than you can with a mains electric- the mains electric saws need a physical pressure to the chain brake lever to operate as in a kick back situation.

Both work on inertia...but are tested in different ways. If the OP is suggesting the operation of the chain brake on his electric saw can be tested in the same way as the petrol one in his video he is incorrect....and I think that is what is worrying him?

The sensor is used for the GPS, screen rotation, turn phone over to ignore, call fitness tracking, there's a spirit level app, car accident detection and some even ask if you want 999 calling. It even works out altitude.

1 minute ago, GarethM said:

The sensor is used for the GPS, screen rotation, turn phone over to ignore, call fitness tracking, there's a spirit level app, car accident detection and some even ask if you want 999 calling. It even works out altitude.

Ok . Thank you