Installation of habitat in trees

14 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

There’s no need, but there’s interest, at least from Dan and me.

Why do you think he specified that?

Speculating that the removal of the hollow and a  mertre of stem below it will leave a clean single wound that thas a better chance of occluding.

Most big interventions are doomed to failure, and if there is aready fungal hollowing in heartwood/ripewood then the prognisis is not good.  Might just be buying time. Might be partly aesthetic. Might be wrong. Don't know.

If i was engaged as contractor I'd just do it.

2 hours ago, dan blocker said:

Like most things a few phots might help? A piece 600mm diameter depending on length is going to be quite heavy. It will also deteriorate quickly so will have to be wrapped in netting wire to prevent anything dropping? 

Apologies for having an inquisitive mind. But repositioning decaying poplar into another tree as habitat is bordering on complete bollocks. Go and source some oak with a hollow and it’ll last for years. What’s going to use a hollow in 600mm diameter lump of wood as habitat? A black bear?

It might be nonsensical. Just saying that as a contractor I wouldn't expect it to be my role to revisit the rationale, I'd just do it and get paid for it.

Being inquisitive is great, personally I can't help being that way. But speculating based on a vague description and without the consultant being available to comment is not going to change anything.

It's got to be about retention of habitat, though, even if it's only for a few years. Maybe bat roosting, maybe saproxylic insects.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Speculating that the removal of the hollow and a  mertre of stem below it will leave a clean single wound that thas a better chance of occluding.

It's two foot diameter poplar. 

42 minutes ago, AHPP said:

It's two foot diameter poplar. 

A poplar with an upper central leader that is 2 foot diameter.

In my opinion the only good poplars are either dead ones or ones that are far from anyone or anything.

A poplar that needs that big a snip should be taken down to the ground, absolutely. 

Might as well save the chunk with habitat in it though, and as it rots, it'll house a whole succession of beasties. And when it falls apart and needs to be removed, that's another day's work for someone 👍