Tree removal costs

captrik787

Question

Hi everyone,

just looking to see if a recent quote I got is reasonable? 

im looking to remove 3 x med/largeoaks from my garden.  Grind stumps and remove everything from site. 

I realise lots of things to consider but good access both close to some garages. I was quoted £15k?

im in the south east.

thanks

3AC8DF2A-A99B-4EF5-91D4-326FD51FD9E5.thumb.jpeg.b1efa842168ebc450580ca3d13153c70.jpeg

I appreciate it’s a skilled job. Let’s assume a hefty day rate of £500 x2 and 2 x labourer that’s £1200, a crane is £500, waste disposal £600(?)

a days worth of insurance/van/tools/equipment £500(?). 

so £2800. Even if it took 2 days at £5600 How did someone get to £15k?

Hope I’m not upsetting anyone here just speaking form an average Joe perspective.

I’m waiting on more quotes.

Cranes aren't £500. Labourers aren't £100.

The waste disposal is a ballache of bins or trailers, possibly in a tight spot down by the garages.

Grinding costs money even if you don't have to crane the grinder in and the grindings out. You didn't answer me about the grinding arisings or the access.

The firm has to make profit.

P.S. Semi-joking. From your name, I assume you fly planes from Gatwick for work. Were you wearing a uniform or at least a Navitimer when they quoted?

• Like 1

Stick booms if they'll fit are £600 if you know someone and £1200-2000 for normal contract lifts. The knuckleboom grapplesaws (correct tool for this job in my opinion) are at least £1300.

You can't have unskilled labourers on a job like that. They'd be too much of a liability where just something like breaking the chipper could kibosh the whole day.

Plus other risks. Breaking a garage costs money. Multiply the cost of doing so by the likelihood of doing so and that needs accounting for. Grinding is expensive because it carries the risk of hitting expensive stuff underground.

Plus loads of little faggy things like someone running around a trailer of ground protection mats, grinding guarding etc. All ballache, all money.

The guy managing all this needs paying for his ability to manage it. The guy financing the kit and wages needs paying for not putting his capital elsewhere.

And profit.

And you need to pay VAT on all of this.

• Like 5

Seems steep.

I could do that job in under 8 hours with a couple of numpties ,two 30 yard skips and a 80 tonn hiab.

For £15k you could probably get those trees underslung from a Chinook and buttoned off into the English Channel

• Haha 2

AHPP makes some very valid points, but £15k is still over the top.

Hopefully you’ll get a keener quote from a reputable, qualified and insured company.

Is £15k from door-knockers?

• Like 2

Could be a Go Away, Don't Want The Job quote. Could be a heap of factors not visible in a few pictures on the internet. Could be the homeowner and the guy who quoted didn't get on. 

OP, why do you need the trees gone? Not judging, but it's a shame to see such lovely trees removed.

With regards to your other thread: you are unlikely to recuperate any of the costs from getting the stems milled.

• Like 4

Guy seems nice enough , reputable established company. 

yep shame to see them go but two reason. 
1/ subsidence report from 10 years ago said to remove and hasn’t been done. Worried about future risk.

2/. want to build on the area so all three in the way. Will have to pile foundation due heave risk. 

got a chinook quote but army wanted £50k! 

• Haha 1