TS Industrie / Saelen Super Premium 35DR Shredder not pulling in material.

Hi,

Is anyone familiar with the TS Industrie / Saelen Super Premium 35DR Shredder? 

I've bought one that needs a bit of work on it but it isn't pulling material through to the hammers / blades very effectively. Hammers, blades, anvils do need replacing but I don't believe that is the issue as when we get the material to or under the roller then it drags it in and shreds it just fine. Branches go though fine, Leylandii trimmings of a few inches to a few feet, leaves and twigs etc don't.

We put the material on the conveyor belt, it all moves with the belt towards the roller. The material gets to where the hopper narrows just before the roller and is still a good few inches away from the roller. We use a prodder to give it a good shove (and it takes some effort), the roller grabs some (and often the prodder) and fires it through the machine but the rest of the material sits before the roller with the conveyor rotating underneath it. It seems to me that the conveyor stops too early before the roller, the roller has too much of a gap between it and the bed, and that the conveyor could do with teeth on it to keep dragging the brash instead of just slipping and rotating underneath when the material meets a bit of resistance. 

I bought it to do jobs that a chipper won't do. I don't think I'm expecting too much from it - they can't be that bad can they? What am I missing? Is it possible to modify or retrofit the conveyor with the teeth as other models have? Would that help, and if the answer to those last 2 questions is yes then I guess I'd need to look at it from the legal angle of modifying the machine.

Thanks.

I've not used one of those but sounds bit like when you dump a ton bag of shrub trimmings in a TW230 chute, not really the right shape to get pulled in so you have to stretch it out a bit and push some forward to start it in the rollers? Sounds like the conveyor would only work for very thin layer of flowable stuff like hedge trimmings.

I would but it's with the mechanic. I was chatting to him on the phone and he said that despite the size of the machine, they're not that good at pulling material in. This seems extreme though? I'd expect to be able to throw an armful of 1 to 2ft long Leylandii tips onto the belt, maybe spread them out a bit and let the machine do the rest - short of one being at a funny angle and blocking the rest that sometimes happens of course. What happens is we spread them on the belt a little, the roller doesn't get hold of them and then the whole lot gets bunched up as it is brought to the roller by the conveyor. We reverse it, spread them out, keep trying to spread them out with one pressing the reverse and the other trying to spread it out so the machine gets a tiny bit at a time. Then the roller doesn't grab a bit, it all bunches up and we need to reverse and start the process again.

I think I remember a thread (was looking before buying) where you (Mick) didn't hold either Saelen or Bugnot  in high regard over there? Can't remember exactly so I might be mistaken, but struggle to believe they're this bad and there's not something else going on?

Cheers.