Ash Die Back - when does it become unsafe?

sime42

We have been doubting stacks of ADB in the south west inverse the last few years. I’m always a little wary of ash with ADB as I have found some looked knacked and are completely fine to climb and I have been up some which look relatively healthy and have had big snap outs when branch walking.

When they are ****************ed they really are like polystyrene and I can honestly say they is know way of knowing until you start climbing and cutting.

If you are anchored into a stem 150mm or above you should be fine. But just take note of how the snipes feel when you go up. 

Looking at the tree I would climb it. But might be worth giving your customer 2 prices and trying for the cheaper climb option first. Might be a wasted hour in the morning if you realise it can’t be climbed but at least h t ey would be prepared for the more expensive scenario. 

• Thanks 1