Two Short Ropes

JBH

I've mainly been using a 20m rope SRT for the past few months and not much else

Majority of my work in dismantles

My longer ropes only get an outing when I have to base tie for access and I can't be arsed hauling them out of the van, let alone the tail around a tree

Does anyone else just carry two short ropes in their kit bag?

I feel like having two 20m ish ropes would cover me for base anchoring and I'd be more inclined to climb to the wah regs

Or does my kit bag just feel heavy after the bank holiday...

On 01/04/2024 at 22:01, JBH said:

Does anyone else just carry two short ropes in their kit bag?

Mine are a bit longer but gradually working down in length as I nick or spike them....

Definitely see the advantages of a shorter line for moving around, if I'm anchoring srt I generally pull spare up around and through a ring then lock off with alpine, so the tail is only what I need.

I think that's what originally got me thinking Dan

I've even just had a small drop bag full of cord with me for canopy tie retrieval if pruning on the shorter line

After years drt on a 35m, I've got used to having effectively around sub 20m useable of work line

I might have to give it a go for a few months and report back

Would be interested to see wooden hands take on UK w@h regs in reference to some of his ideas, I feel they align a lot, beyond using the  unicender

I’ve always worked with a 20m rope and the 35m would gather dust in the shed for the off day I’d be doing a 100footer and even then I would usually bottle it around 60ft and just bomb out the top! 
  When I used to work 2 ropes on open hardwoods I’d have a long prusik on 1 for up and down and short on the other for positioning.

I’d say once you’ve got experience you pick and choose what you’re taking once you see the tree.  

On 04/04/2024 at 08:05, JBH said:

Would be interested to see wooden hands take on UK w@h regs in reference to some of his ideas, I feel they align a lot, beyond using the  unicender

Are you going on his 2 rope system workshop in May? He's running one in Oxford and another in Edinburgh.