Whinjuries

peds

Didn't feel right adding this to dangb93's stumpgrinder thread, for reasons that will become obvious. But it's still a cautionary tale that maybe someone will benefit from? This thread can now serve as a dumping ground for injuries to which the standard reaction could be "Stop whinging, I've got a bigger hole than that in the end of my knob."

So I was pressing a few lengths of architrave into place around this big sliding glass door we've got, where larch cladding meets anthracite-grey door frame. Held up with skinny screws on the larch side, and with No More Nails on the door frame. It's a long piece, and I accidentally smear some No More Nails at the end I'm not paying attention to. Fix it into place, down ladder, move ladder, splash some white spirit onto a fold of blue roll, up ladder, clean up the dabs, stuff the blue roll into my front left pocket (it's a windy day, I'll pop it in the bin when I head inside), grab drill and fix this end into place. Down ladder, move ladder, screw the other end. Carry on about my business. 

A few hours later I'm sat drinking tea at the breakfast bar, my left leg crossed over my right and pressing against the underside of the bar. Itchy thigh, scratch. Still itching. Ow. Feels like it's burning. Stand up, lower trousers, palm-sized red welt spreading over my skin as I remove the still-wet wodge of white spirit blue roll from my pocket. Whoops!

Two weeks later, the burn has nearly gone and the skin almost finished peeling off. I'll not be doing that again. 

Whinjuries: not life threatening, no surgery or rehab needed, no cool scars to impress people with. Go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was hoping for a blue leg at the very least. My mate, Brian spilled a load of acid into his crotch at work, wearing jeans. Blue knob for weeks apparently.

Edited by AHPP

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

Any pics of the larch/anthracite door combo?

This sort of thing.

20240401_105708.thumb.jpg.b1d1ac2db63bb9bf644e74fe17427a53.jpg

20240401_105648.thumb.jpg.b013275dc3d22bf9fb19cc1f4bc09730.jpg

20240401_105717.thumb.jpg.3a18a540e6be05e6bb1dd8246cc4fe43.jpg

Larch bevel boards, 12cm, coverage 10cm, 3.5m length. The architrave is just the boards cut in half lengthways to 6cm widths, or cut to 3-4cm width depending on what it needs to hide.

The wall bows out towards the top left which needed a bit of jiggery pokery ripping to cover with the boards, but I think I got away with it. 

Hopefully I'll get a deck built before the summer. 27m² ish.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1