Professional grade traditional rear handle saw that is under 10lbs powerhead weight? Stihl? Husq?

FlyFishn

The echo will come out cheapest without a doubt and capable. You can get the CS 362 wes which is the 2511 bigger brother. As said the 4310 is good. As for the big brands, it's to early to say about 540xp over the MS201C-M. It is £100 cheaper though.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I have not used a 2511, but my 360TES has been going over 10 years, not as powerful as 200T, but more reliable ime.

Radmores has the 362WES exactly the same price as the 2511, quite a bit more power for logging up small stuff, and 8.4 lbs 

Personally if I can bring myself to 'invest' in a small logging up saw I would like the more expensive new 43cc Echo CS-4310SX (weight 9.5 lbs) that is on a par with a Stihl MS241

WWW.RADMORETUCKER.CO.UK

The most powerful and lightest chain saw in its class. The ECHO CS-4310SX is a professional grade, mid sized chain saw suitable for a wide range of applications, including felling. With...

I looked up the 4310 and it looks like it is a European market saw only. I'm in the US so that won't work.

We have an Echo, I want to say it is about 50cc with an 18" bar. I will have to check and see what the model number is. It is relatively new - bought 2 years ago and only used a couple times. I don't particularly care for the saw. It does not have a fuel primer button. We did use it last weekend and I had to open the air filter to prime with gas straight in the carb to get it to go.

Overall, I am not real sure what to make of Echo saws. Historically I would have never considered them. Someone else in the family bought the one we have and had heard good things about them. I had someone else say good things earlier this week about them. So I am more inclined to give them a chance. I suppose if people here on the forums are recommending them there is a reason.

No matter what brand, I do know there is a difference between consumer grade and professional grade - and the price points show that.

Looking at the US market Echo line-up - the CS-361 is 35.8cc and 8.4lbs. That sounds about right for what I was thinking on sizing. They spec it with a 14" and 16" bar.

WWW.ECHO-USA.COM

Professionally productive. Learn more about the CS-361P and other chainsaws today at ECHO.

Edited by FlyFishn

23 hours ago, Stere said:

545 is same weight as a 550xp but less power so I can't see whats the point of it is as its hardly much cheaper?

Port it and they come alive.... Cheaper yes but easy to make more power and then it's a super job

8 hours ago, gand said:

The echo saws are a lot better than they used to be. Can you get the CS390sx?

The SX series is not available in the US it appears.

The next size up here in the US from the 361p is the 501p at a hair over 50cc.

• Like 1

I would recommend the 540xp. Light nimble and has lots of power for a 40cc saw. I think if you were to get it ported it would be ridiculous. Stock it comes with the 3/8p 1.3mm guage but has the option of running .3251.1mm guage which is the same as it's battery counterpart which may make it a little faster in the cut.

I really like mine I as it's so light and nimble. I use it on stuff that really took big for it but it works. The only thing is the chain tensioner is a little weak if someone gets it stuck and gets to pull it out 

IMG_20240317_192717_047.jpg

• Like 1

The next size up here in the US from the 361p is the 501p at a hair over 50cc.

Wouldn't get an echo model if  its an old one that still has  rubber mounts I like modern AV springs.

Spring ones:

On 18/02/2021 at 15:20, Stere said:

Do any echo have spring av mounts?

All chassis (exc.1) designed after 2006 do. (In order of apprarance:) 310, 352, 590-621, 4510, 2511, 3510, 7310.

Makita 4300 or Dolmar 421 is good shame its gone out of manufacture.

Over 10lbs though but  at 2.2kw same as a ms241 & was only £250 new at one time.

Edited by Stere

On 28/03/2024 at 00:25, FlyFishn said:

In another thread I was asking about larger saws, so I'll keep that subject there.

I am also looking at smaller/lighter saws. I was originally thinking something at most 40cc, maybe in the mid 30's. However, looking at the Husq and Stihl options they dont appear to have a professional grade saw that small with a rear handle.

I've run a top handle Stihl before, and although I really do like it for cutting down smaller limbs, I don't think its the right type of saw for how I am intending to use it. I still think a rear handle traditional saw is going to work better.

Dad has a small stihl I've used and worked on before. I don't recall the model, but it is a homeowner grade saw for sure. That is what I don't want.

The bar length I am wanting is 14" with possibly a 16" as an option. The goal is to have a lighter, more maneuverable saw.

Down the road a top handle is on the list, but I'm not sure I want to go that route this round.

What thoughts do you have?

If you was a dog I’d have you put down 👌 just buy the saw , don’t be scared!!!

Slightly over your desired cc but pro-level range would be the stihl ms 241 c-m coming in at 4.5 kg/2.5kw/42cc odd ,but I'm not sure thats 'a thing'/available in the U.S. market any more?Probably the ms 201 c-m is what you really want?a v.light niche stihl pro saw much beloved by hedgers/coppicers here in the U.K.35cc/4.0kg/2.5kg-but as ever with stihl-pricey for its performance level,but would lend itself well to getting into carving as a second use I would think,which would add usage/value maybe?