Buying a van at distance

river_thames

@Botty Cough

Thank you, it's actually similar to my current sprinter, but I'd like an auto and most importantly, solid sides. I think I'll do what @Moose McAlpine said and get an ex supermarket chassis cab, and getting a body made. 

I've been quoted approx £6k for a tipper conversion and body. The ex supermarket sprinters are around £8k depending on mileage. I am finding it a little tricky to make it happen locally but I'm still looking around. 

I thought I'd found an instant win with the one I was originally thinking about. My main thing is house and garden clearance, I'm tipping 3 times a day sometimes and I was looking to get some real mileage out of a new body, so I might have dodged a bullet.

I would definitely go iveco over Merc these days. 

The iveco is using the fiat engine's in most of them and they are a lot stronger than the Germans.

It's also extremely Easy to make solid sides for the box at very little costs.

Edited by Botty Cough

29 minutes ago, Botty Cough said:

I would definitely go iveco over Merc these days. 

The iveco is using the fiat engine's in most of them and they are a lot stronger than the Germans.

I definitely wouldn't. The Iveco has a better chassis and (possibly) rear axle, at a weight penalty. Outside of that they're flimsy with poor build quality, interiors that fall apart and rubbish Italian engines. The auto Ivecos use an 8-speed ZF which is a very good gearbox though. The 7-speed Merc box is a solid reliable piece of kit too.

The 906 Sprinters are the best, 2018+ 907s aren't as nice, interiors not as good.

I'd much rather have a Sprinter. (Which is why i already have one, have had 3 before, and am trying to buy another.)

I deal with a lot of vans in my work (mechanic) and stand firm that the 906 Sprinters are the best by some margin.

Edited by Moose McAlpine
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

I definitely wouldn't. The Iveco has a better chassis and (possibly) rear axle, at a weight penalty. Outside of that they're flimsy with poor build quality, interiors that fall apart and rubbish Italian engines. The auto Ivecos use an 8-speed ZF which is a very good gearbox though. The 7-speed Merc box is a solid reliable piece of kit too.

The 906 Sprinters are the best, 2018+ 907s aren't as nice, interiors not as good.

I'd much rather have a Sprinter. (Which is why i already have one, have had 3 before, and am trying to buy another.)

I deal with a lot of vans in my work (mechanic) and stand firm that the 906 Sprinters are the best by some margin.

Tipping loads is all about chassis and axle so the Iveco will always win over the sprinter on that job.

2 minutes ago, Botty Cough said:

Tipping loads is all about chassis and axle so the Iveco will always win over the sprinter on that job.

Maybe if you're overloading it far beyond its spec. The vast majority of (3.5t) tippers out there are Transits with the same type chassis as the Sprinters and they cope fine. Sprinter diffs don't fail often anyway.

I'd still much rather have a Sprinter.

17 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Maybe if you're overloading it far beyond its spec. The vast majority of (3.5t) tippers out there are Transits with the same type chassis as the Sprinters and they cope fine. Sprinter diffs don't fail often anyway.

I'd still much rather have a Sprinter.

Not many tree cutters that don't overload in reality ,that's why we go iveco.