Free logs where to start?

BlackSwan83

Hi all.

I live in Fowey and am looking for some free logs/branches i can come and collect for burning in the garden.

I dont really know where to start in terms of finding anywhere/anyone who might want logs collected from site. I was thinking of getting in touch with a local tree surgon but wanted to check for ideas on here first? 

Thanks in advance 

As above, put yourself on the tip sites but remember they work if it is beneficial to both sides - unlikely that someone will pass 5 other tip sites to visit you, but if you are near to a job, easy access then you might benefit.

Talking to local tree surgeons can help too, let them know where you are and what you want (but never be too picky). Weird as it may be, not all tree surgeons are on this site. I know!....

Talk an early or late lunch walk if you benefit from being able to work from home, of there is a chainsaw near then you might hear it... and can introduce yourself (so long as the tree surgeon isn't half way up a tree at the time - pick your moment)

I wouldn't however advise a silky saw and big rucksack unless you have the landowners permission, but mainly 60 litres (or whatever a big rucksack is) is about enough firewood for a morning.

Me, I talked to a friend the other week "terrible storms, brought down one of the big trees" "really....." 5 hours later and a decent load of firewood - keep your ears open too

Edit: Collecting from site is probably a PITA if you are just filling the boot of a Corsa - different if you have a transit and can load it too. Might be better to ask if they can drop it off and perhaps offer petrol money

Edited by Steven P

Getting it delivered and offering money isn't very free now is it.

As it's for burning in the garden it's probably for a chimnea or outside heating.

It's far better to just get it from the woods... That's free 🤣

Yep theft is free but I'm afraid that is what it is if you go down the woods with a saw without permission.

The general advice is don't ask for free wood.  You might get it if it benefits both sides (saves them a trip back to base for example) but don't expect it.  Branches generally go through the chipper so you are unlikely to get those TBH.  Best advice though is contact local tree surgeons, just don't start the conversation with "I want free stuff", it might not go well.  They are running a company afterall.

If it is just for garden burning have you considered pallets?  Most are heat treated nowadays and companies commonly have to pay for them to be removed.  They are already dry so no time need to dry out before you can burn them, just a bit of effort to cut them...

• Like 3