Subsidence/ heave worry

JamesJen

Question

Hi all, stumbled across this forum while searching issues similar to what I’m experiencing. 

I’m currently in the process of offering on a property that’s had some subsidence issues, it’s a 1930’s build on clay….to give some context they have claimed on the insurance twice for subsidence once in 2008 in which the “extension” which is a solid 9inch walled outbuilding attached the main house off the back corner. The subsidence was cause by a large ash tree within 2-3 range of said extension and around 5 meters from the house. The remedial action was to demolish the extension and rebuild in 2011. The tree had a TPO on it at the time. Fast forward to 2023 and subsidence occurred again,  The latest was classed as minor. And the ash tree was felled. I’ve done some digging around and in the Google Earth pics which are 9months old and the report which says works were completed in nov 23. This leaves 6 months period so the tree was felled in one go.  

my main concern now is heave. I will also add the main property has shown no signs of subsidence in both cases. 

I know there are many factors. But how worried should I be moving forward as I hear heave is a progressive thing likely to take a few years?  I’ll attach a couple images 

IMG_6173.png

IMG_6175.jpeg

3 answers to this question

Well, i am certainly no tree expert, but, the house was built in the 1930's, yes?

The tree was not there then..

The house has no damage.

Heave or not, if you think about it, there is no way that the ground is going to expand to a larger volume than it occupied on the day the house was built, 90 years ago, before the tree, that is an impossibility and a matter of common sense.

So no worries with the house..

I would think the extension would be ok too.

As for the shitty tree with its TPO, Don't the whole place look better without the thing!

Why ****************wits plant trees in their gardens is beyond me..

john..

We ought to have a thread for "Worst positions to plant a tree", or something. I've seen some crackers. One is a baby, (this week!), Eucalyptus in a border a couple of feet wide that's between the pavement and the small paved over front garden of a house. Wish I'd taken a photo.

• Like 1