Statement tree rec

Ash Farm

Hello. I would most welcome some recommendations and ideas. Now entering the landscaping phase of my house renovation project. Our front garden was literally entirely tarmac-ed. This arrangement made sense for the previous owner but isn’t exactly my aesthetic. I’m planning to cut the tarmac right back to just leave a strip of tarmac that loops around and back out the gate, with beds/grass at the sides.  In the centre I’d like a statement tree. I’m well aware some of my requirements will be contradictory but would love some suggestions for species that would tick the most of these:

grows well in Herefordshire soil (derived from Devonian sandstones but still quite heavy on clay)

happy in full sun from mid morning until the end of the day

grows quickly

puts on a show in autumn

Broad canopy/ spreading form. Something that will form a canopy ~ 3m from the ground and extend widely
Won’t require me to do anything clever to cause it to take above form

Native to England and Wales

Reasonably priced for quite an established specimen. Something that won’t look ridiculous for several years in a yard that’s ~ 25m x 25m. See the attached photograph in which the walls have now been completed  (I said some of my requirements were contradictory - and I’m patient but I’m also not very young any more)

Appreciate anyone taking the time to offer me an idea. IMG_2722.thumb.jpeg.25cb62b0eb2fea133ae15ab9ee01a69a.jpeg

Thank you both. Liquidambar interesting but I’m thinking maybe the crown form is a bit too pointy for my spot. Quercus coccinea appealing from the tdag guide @tree-fancier123  not native but I did say my requirements would conflict. I also don’t understand what the water conditions are going to be after I tear up all the black stuff. Everything is waterlogged right now…!

Shared the liquidambar suggestion with Mrs. She did some research, found some pleached examples and thinks they’d be ideal tucked behind the new walls. So… how do I put this? …Thank you… I suppose. Great recommendation but it looks like it’s going to cost me!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ash Farm said:

😂that would have gone nicely with the destroyed avocado bathroom suite that was decorating the front yard for a few months

Still got an avocado suite here. Matching towel rail,soap dishes ,roll holder and even floor tiles ....😂

A rowan of sorts might fit bill for a native tree:

WWW.ROOTSPLANTS.CO.UK

Rowan trees are easy to grow, naturally compact and hardy throughout the coldest winters. Our growers recommend the best for each situation.

Liqudambar do look the part in autumn, another non-native you might consider is an amelanchier of sorts, I quite like this one : https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/103428/amelanchier-grandiflora-autumn-brilliance/details

• Thanks 1