Job

corey Bailey

8 hours ago, corey Bailey said:

Hi I’m a 21 year old from West Yorkshire and I’m really intrigued and interested in becoming a tree surgeon I know this might be a big ask but would anyone be willing to take me on or even let me volunteer on my days off to gain some knowledge and experience in the trade while I save up for the course

Oh, and welcome to Arbtalk - they do get distracted easily.....

My piece after loitering and reading the forum.....

Every now and then a young lad (nearly always a lad) will ask for a job or a lead to get one. I'd say that single post is as far as 60% get. The next 30% will have a bit of a chat for a say and that is it, and the last 10% will read the advice and might act on it, joining in with the chat. Noting that on a pissy wet day you are going to stuck in a cab at lunch with exactly the same banter going on.... so get used to it.

Not sure a new apprentice will need to bulk up and work out specifically for the job... but you aren't going to get so far if after 4 or 5 months the wiry 60 year old is still going while you take your 10th breather of the day....but... fitness will come on the job... but it does need a base to start from.

Qualifications... they will come, no one will expect a 21 year old to be fully trained with their own kit - I'd be asking where they stole it from if they did! A reasonable boss will see that you need some work and attitude is more important than a folder full of tickets... but... if they are spending on your training they will need to get that money back.... I reckon you will be sort of paying for yourself after a year - the first year you are simply an expense, after 2 years you will begin to be profitable... so don't be surprised if you get told that.. however I'd also be suspicious of an interviewee who was looking for a new role after only a year into a career - so stick around in the first role to get some experience.

Attitude is the right thing though. So you can look in the phone book for local tree surgeons and give them a shout, chase them, you could take a walk locally every now and then - chainsaws are hard to hide, get on your bike and find them.. and if they arn't stuck up a tree introduce yourself.

I wouldn't knock the council either - some of them are out for themselves but I find the ones who have to think a bit are generally decent and will take their time.

But like all jobs it comes to attitude, sounds like you are keen enough, so time to knock on some local doors?

20 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Oh, and welcome to Arbtalk - they do get distracted easily.....

My piece after loitering and reading the forum.....

Every now and then a young lad (nearly always a lad) will ask for a job or a lead to get one. I'd say that single post is as far as 60% get. The next 30% will have a bit of a chat for a say and that is it, and the last 10% will read the advice and might act on it, joining in with the chat. Noting that on a pissy wet day you are going to stuck in a cab at lunch with exactly the same banter going on.... so get used to it.

Not sure a new apprentice will need to bulk up and work out specifically for the job... but you aren't going to get so far if after 4 or 5 months the wiry 60 year old is still going while you take your 10th breather of the day....but... fitness will come on the job... but it does need a base to start from.

Qualifications... they will come, no one will expect a 21 year old to be fully trained with their own kit - I'd be asking where they stole it from if they did! A reasonable boss will see that you need some work and attitude is more important than a folder full of tickets... but... if they are spending on your training they will need to get that money back.... I reckon you will be sort of paying for yourself after a year - the first year you are simply an expense, after 2 years you will begin to be profitable... so don't be surprised if you get told that.. however I'd also be suspicious of an interviewee who was looking for a new role after only a year into a career - so stick around in the first role to get some experience.

Attitude is the right thing though. So you can look in the phone book for local tree surgeons and give them a shout, chase them, you could take a walk locally every now and then - chainsaws are hard to hide, get on your bike and find them.. and if they arn't stuck up a tree introduce yourself.

I wouldn't knock the council either - some of them are out for themselves but I find the ones who have to think a bit are generally decent and will take their time.

But like all jobs it comes to attitude, sounds like you are keen enough, so time to knock on some local doors?

Honestly thank you very much mate Yh it’s been a laugh posting this coz had some funny ****************ers😂and some propa advice which I love and discovered I love this by cutting down some trees down me drive and just fell in love with it can’t get enough of it haha my fitness isn’t the shittest but needs work but like you said you gather most of that from the job and have been looking for abit of gear for me sen like some tree spikes and ropes did use a ratchet strap on one of the trees down me drive haha worked wonders tbh have invested in a stihl ms271 I know this isn’t the greatest about I did have a stihl ms162 but it wasn’t powerful enough for the trees I was doing and thanks for your advice I have been phoning and emailing around no luck so far but a lot of good advice i will keep ringing and emailing around some suggested going to college but i will keep trying 

18 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

Dean is based in Holmfirth mate.

Give him a shout and say Bolam sent you.

You’ll know more in 5 minutes talking to him than the rest of us can help you with.

WWW.DALOFTHOUSETREESURGERY.CO.UK

Discover the services of D A Lofthouse Tree Surgery, Brighouse

Cheers buddy gonna give him a ring tommoz don’t wanna wake him up😂

• Haha 1

Just now, Mark Bolam said:

Aye, the time you ring him may have a bearing on how many f-words he uses!

Quick test, when would you think is a good time to call him?

Aye sounds like a good lad coz I’m always using f words😂and the best time I think I would call him is early morning around 7 or 8 or is that a big no no some folk aren’t morning people

It shows you’re keen mate, right enough, but he’s also then probably sorting stuff out for the job ahead, and would be a nuisance.

I haven’t got 2 mins in the morning, let alone 5 for a chat with someone I don’t know.

I’d go 5.30, but that’s just me.

Still in work mode, but before shifting into slippers and kids mode.

@Mick Dempseymay or may not agree with me, but he’s in France, so allow for the time difference.

• Like 2