Husky 345 spewing oil

Botty Cough

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I don't play with enough chainsaws to know but it's the husqvarna type with left hand thread to undo the clutch that are at risk, especially if it has been recently replaced, as they tighten with work.

The stihl type with E clips holding the clutch are not at risk if the clip is secure.

The stihl 201 with the external clutch can do it as well. 

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I feel some cheap red wine coming on.

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I don't play with enough chainsaws to know but it's the husqvarna type with left hand thread to undo the clutch that are at risk, especially if it has been recently replaced, as they tighten with work.

The stihl type with E clips holding the clutch are not at risk if the clip is secure.

Read this @Botty Coug

I think this explains the difference of opinion.  I only have internal clutched Stihl chainsaws and have never suffered this issue.  I can see how an external clutch is way more exposed.

8 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

So are you saying that this only happens on externally mounted clutches?  Or just that it is more likely to happen on externally mounted clutches but it can happen on both types? Thanks

The clutch can undo but it is held in place by the clutch drum as it is held in place with an E clip so the two parts lock together....not so dramatic but also not that great.

• Like 1

So back to the leaking oil, the quickest way to see where this is coming from is,

remove the bar and chain,

drain the oil tank,

refill with fuel,

due to the reduced viscosity you will soon see where the fuel is coming from, most probably where the pick up pipe seals to the pump, or where the delivery pipe sits on the other side of the pump.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, adw said:

So back to the leaking oil, the quickest way to see where this is coming from is,

remove the bar and chain,

drain the oil tank,

refill with fuel,

due to the reduced viscosity you will soon see where the fuel is coming from, most probably where the pick up pipe seals to the pump, or where the delivery pipe sits on the other side of the pump.

Yeah I'm thinking that. I'll get at it over the weekend. Apparently it's a common fault