Areal rescue

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the groundie's point of view, the teams I work with generally take the outlook that, if possible, getting yourself down is much quicker than being rescued, even though the rescue climber is always available. To facilitate this, we work to maintain a clear landing spot with ropes being shifted to allow a rapid, straight descent. Every member of staff is a 1st Aider, and climbers are constantly monitored from the ground. I always carry my own 1st Aid kit which I know how to use, containing several ambulance dressings, and I'm old enough to have been taught the use of brachial and femoral pressure points. Overkill? Don't know, and to be honest I don't care, because if I cart it all about for the rest of my working life without ever using any of it, then I will be very happy. :001_smile:

One fo the most dangerous things IMO is groundies (aerial rescuers or not) not knowing where you are, geographically! So you cut yourself and get down out of the tree on the adrenaline rush as mentioned above. Then pass out!

Groundie calls ambulance, they say where are you? Knackered!!

However elaborate your rescue kit and plan is, it is essentiat to have adress, postcode, grid refs etc easily available to everyone on site.

If they have read the risk assessment before they sign it, there shouldn't be a problem. :001_smile:

I used to think of every excuse or reason under the sun not to do RA or bother with knowing how to rescue, i would blame time, hassle money what ever i could.

Coming on here has opened my eyes to the real world, and sometimes i have written a post more in defence of my actions rather than what i really should have said, so i have looked over it and realised my flaws.

I worked self employed for 11 years climbing running my own business with no aerial tickets, just basic felling, i thought i was being sneaky and pulling the wool over someones eyes, i was. My own. In the last year i have researched as much as i can, it may seem to others that i am just babbling away on here because i am bored, but i use this place as a classroom. Last year i sat my cs 38,39,40 and 41. and passed with flying coulours, i dropped 2 points on all the 4 tickets, i would NEVER of managed this with out the knowledge of the members on here. I thought i knew everything there was to know, its more than just spikes,harness, strop and rope. We can all learn from each other and help each other out, it may even save a life, maybe our own

One fo the most dangerous things IMO is groundies (aerial rescuers or not) not knowing where you are, geographically! So you cut yourself and get down out of the tree on the adrenaline rush as mentioned above. Then pass out!

Groundie calls ambulance, they say where are you? Knackered!!

However elaborate your rescue kit and plan is, it is essentiat to have adress, postcode, grid refs etc easily available to everyone on site.

Good call and probably the most important, when i had to call a guy an ambulance i didnt know the address! The casualty could hardly speak with 4 broken ribs and very badly winded and was the only one who knew,Trying to keep calm whilst finding an adress with the operator on hold was not good good:thumbdown:

I've signed RA's before and then its been put back in the truck which then drives off to emprty woodchip while climber is still up the tree etc etc.

Signing a form is no good unless you can either remember the address/postcode/grid ref or you have easy access to it later.

How hard is it or would it be to put all that (address, RA, Method statement, blah blah blah) in a waterproof folder slap bang next to the first aid kit and a fully charged (and credited) mobile phone in a convienient spot on the work site, easily accessible to any members of the work team?????

The answer is: about as much work as it is to decide where to put your flask to pour yourself a cup of tea.

i totalally agree with huck and pete, you need to be able to get yourself down or your stuffed.

On a slight tangent to franks post, how often do you check you have mobile reception on your sites? i often work out in the sticks and generally someone has reception, but we don't find this out till a break or lunch. what if there wasn't any?

Also truck keys, how many people jump up with them still in their pocket? Wheres the RA, first aid, spare kit, mobile.........in the truck.