More doom and gloom

Just to add a little more details, here is the government report on this.#

A few charts, some are split into PM2.5 at the road side and in Urban areas (doesn't specify the exact difference), roadside has more particles and urban values follow the roadside values closely.... which to me suggest the biggest culprit occurs at the road.

Also to note that in the last 30 years that the charts show, the values have dropped to between 1/3 and 1/4 what they were in 1992... the issue is getting smaller over time despite the recent popularity of wood burning stoves (small dip during the Covid years when we weren't driving about as much)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GarethM said:

Even when were shivering in a cave, eating pill food. They will find something else to harp on about, micro plastic from clothes, rubber from your shoes etc etc.

Usually seems to be those that have had a load of kids banging on about it.

Only 2 here, not loads, but we keep banging on about it because unless we change the way we use our planet, our children are going to starve to death.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but yeah. Buy local, don't fly, don't buy stuff from China, etc.

30 minutes ago, peds said:

Only 2 here, not loads, but we keep banging on about it because unless we change the way we use our planet, our children are going to starve to death.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but yeah. Buy local, don't fly, don't buy stuff from China, etc.

We as a country aren't the problem, yes there is room for improvement around the edges without forcing us back into the dark ages.

This obsession of we need to do more needs kicking all the way to china, not here.

Think there was a statistic, saying if we disappeared into the ocean it's like 1 week or less worth of China's pollution.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

By your numbers there, and my napkin maths, we are 3.5 times dirtier than your average Chinese person. 

But yeah, stop buying stuff from China. Also, stop flying, don't set fire to things you don't need to, stop using weedkiller, cut out as much meat and dairy from your diet as you can stand, stop dredging the ocean, eat more farmed mussels and oysters, try and avoid plastic as much as possible, stop voting for people actively clamouring for the destruction of the planet, protect what little wilderness we have left and try to rewild as much as you can...

...you know, all the stuff the scientists have been advising for the last 40 years or so.

Cheers.

• Like 4

I mean, this is exactly what the trouble is. Dinosaurs who don't appreciate the scale of the problem, and are unwilling to make, or even acknowledge, any of the changes necessary to stop the planet from becoming incompatible with complex life.

The history books about this time period are gonna be freakin' wild, man.

You know... if there's anyone left to write 'em. 

image.png.7db2df7fa61f59ea5d3d91770e96ceba.png

If you read carefully I'm no dinosaur, I have always said improvements can be made but screeching about problems outside of out control is pointless.

It's like protesting about a rainforest halfway around the world as we have zero impact, like chucking soup on things.

If anything I'm aware of a lot more about the world, yet look at things in the round.

If you want to discuss a particular item on your long Santa list, create a discussion and we can all collectively discuss each without the usual environmental switcheroos.

And for reference for this thread, I'm in a smoke control zone. It's a PITA but abide by it l, unlike a lot of people payed a lot more for my boiler.

Edited by GarethM