Vintage Axes and Garden Equipment

spudulike

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

Nice job, always good to bring these old tools back to life. So much more rewarding than getting some old bit of that that wont last. The history is what I find interesting, not that you see much of it but every axe tells a story.

Stihl do decent Ash axe handles that don't cost a fortune if anyone is interested in this work. Doing my Brades 1.5lb head at the moment, have stripped the handle of the paint and logo and am shaping the end to receive the head over the weekend.

Good thread Spud, cheers. Glad to see that it's not just me that has a thing for old tools. The difference in quality between an old timer like these and a bright shiny BnQ type "tool" is huge, new ones just aren't fit for purpose.

I'm intrigued by that ball pein hammer turned hatchet. What do you reckon was the reason for that? Seems like a lot of work to go to.

• Like 1

The ball pein, no idea but have since seen a few that have come up on eBay. I reckon it was just a blacksmith that needed an axe and had a spare hammer so made one. I liked it as it was different - good for small bits of kindling, the larger kindling got me in to resurrecting axes!

• Like 2

It is rewarding doing the older tools especially 

when you have a axe head that is worn

and has a few battle scars you think of all

the man hours and hard work this axe has done

a bit like triggers broom several handles

Edited by shavey
  • Like 1

Elwell 4.5lb feeling axe that belonged to my grandfather.

I have recon’d it a couple of times now.  

Last time I didn’t sand the handle that much.  Coca Cola is great for soaking the heads and a wire brush to bring out the patina.

IMG_3914.thumb.png.5b0e8c8a0ae52a1328ba86bff21cc971.png

IMG_3912.thumb.jpeg.3b973641da430c1ab114a8193a8fc2c7.jpeg

IMG_3910.thumb.jpeg.12922d8a9407469235d2907c951506c4.jpeg

IMG_3905.thumb.jpeg.509b29fc9917161d21de07f2f0966ac1.jpegIMG_3911.thumb.jpeg.227e189d54816cb97a8ec848bd0777ba.jpeg

• Like 9

Here are my two go to axes for splitting my wood. The elwell especially also gets used for hedge laying, it's a nice weight and handle length for it. Neither axe is much of a wedge shape so probably not the ideal splitting axes but hey ho. 

When splitting I usually use the elwell and I prefer to be on my knees with a low splitting block. Far less bending over and I make sure I've got a nice soft pile of sawdust to kneel on. With the nice light axe I find I can be pretty productive.

The felling axe is one I found at the local scrap yard when I was dropping off a load of scrap. Couldn't believe my luck! Looks to me to be pretty old, blacksmith made with chiselled decoration on the pole. It was really pitted so I had to put it back in the forge to work the bit and then reharden and temper. I think it's wrought iron with a steel bit.

Both handles are suffering from damage on the neck. It isn't from bad aim, honest! It's mostly from when the axe head gets buried into a log and as a result the handle hits the edge on the log before it splits. I guess it's a result of the narrow profile of the heads. I bought my dad a gransfors bruks splitting axe for his 60th and it's got a steel collar on the handle neck for this reason. I've not had a chance to try the axe out yet.

IMG_20240126_140536_282.jpg

IMG_20240126_140600_484.jpg

IMG_20240126_140610_772.jpg

IMG_20240126_140530_843.jpg

• Like 3

On 26/01/2024 at 08:45, Stere said:

Its a garden dibber for planting.

Shavey  you have   burnt the handles they look cool.....?

& whats your go 2 rust removing methods?

I've used vinegar to remove rust in the past, just the cheap stuff. Soak the steel for as long as it needs. Important to thoroughly wash it after with water and then a coat of oil or something. Gotta be quick with this or you'll get flash rusting. Could possibly use bicarb or something in water to counter the acidic vinegar? I've not tried it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sime42 said:

Good thread Spud, cheers. Glad to see that it's not just me that has a thing for old tools. The difference in quality between an old timer like these and a bright shiny BnQ type "tool" is huge, new ones just aren't fit for purpose.

I'm intrigued by that ball pein hammer turned hatchet. What do you reckon was the reason for that? Seems like a lot of work to go to.

In danger of repeating bollocks here but I was once to by an old boy at a farm auction that there were a load of excess ball pein hammers after ww2. They must have been made for a specific manufacturing purpose for the war effort. After the war they were repurposed and a lot were turned into hatchets. Might be complete crap but it's a nice story 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2