Warped Grate Bars

Mauser

3 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Exactly. Empty the ash less frequently, let it build up to cover the bars and they won't get too hot. Wood doesn't need air coming up through it at all.

I’m no expert but I was told not to let the ash build up so high in the ash pan that it touches the bars as it’s this that’s possibly warping them. Some good suggestions here, thanks for the help at £57 per grate bar I need it. Going to buy the Mrs a hoodie and try that one first. 😂

5 hours ago, Mauser said:

I’m no expert but I was told not to let the ash build up so high in the ash pan that it touches the bars as it’s this that’s possibly warping them. Some good suggestions here, thanks for the help at £57 per grate bar I need it. Going to buy the Mrs a hoodie and try that one first. 😂

If it was a  " wood only " stove it would have no grate just a flat base ( vermiculite board in my case )  as wood burns better on a bed of ash . If you only burn wood try doing away with the grate .

1 hour ago, Mr. Ed said:

The nice thing about a grate is the ability to turn it up to turbo mode for a moment by opening the ash door. Makes it easy to relight from embers for instance. 

Thats how I ginger mine up and it has no grate  by opening the window door . In fact it tell you in the book and there is a first catch on the door to hold it open the correct amount . They suggest this to warm the flue for a few mins when first lighting it . I would try replacing the grate with a vermiculite board and just burn wood .

7 hours ago, Mauser said:

If your burner is like mine then you will find that with the ash pan empty (or part full) you can still maintain a layer of ash on the grate, although I do wonder if it is partly the design of the fire?  I've certain ran mine too hot as the baffle plate is warped to heck (job for later this year) but no problem with the grate.

As for the ash in the pan warping the grate?  I don't get that.  I certainly burn with a solid ash pile from pan but at this point it will be >1" of ash above the grate as well.  Might be the design of your stove?  I guess they think the grate can not lose heat if there is an ash pile in the pan.  Maybe worth a try but I doubt this is the ultimate problem here.

P.S. I have a 10 year old Clearview Pioneer and never had an issue with the grate.

My stove is a multifuel stove and I'll burn wood till my garage is empty and then coal for the rest of the year. The design of the grate in mine is a halfway not perfect for either design. If it was wood only then no grate needed (as mentioned above). The gaps between the bars - in mine - are too narrow and with insufficient space for the coal ash to fall through cleanly, ash builds up above it, it cooks if you don't riddle it often.. and then warp, burn through and fall to pieces. I haven't had a chance yet to make my own with better gaps.