Please help save my tree

Fadene

Hello,

I am new here and do not know anything about trees. We just moved into a new house where the main feature of the little garden is a beautiful Strawberry tree. Today I went outside to see that my father ‘cleaned’ the tree by power washing the whole bark off it. From what I’ve read this is basically going to kill it. Is this true? Is there absolutely anything I can do to save it? He was trying to do something nice and I wish I had a chance to stop him but it’s too late. Thank you so much for any advice. 

We managed to stop him before he did the other two trunks, as you can see on in the photos. If there is anything I can do, maybe some kind of protector or sealant to help? Thank you all for reading. 

Thanks for your advice! I believe it is the same tree, all four of the trunks were the same darker colour until the two on the left were ‘washed’.

We just moved into the house a few months ago and understand the lights have been on a long time but we will remove them. 

Is there anything I could look out for if the tree was to start having problems because of its bark being removed? 

49 minutes ago, Fadene said:

Thanks for your advice! I believe it is the same tree, all four of the trunks were the same darker colour until the two on the left were ‘washed’.

We just moved into the house a few months ago and understand the lights have been on a long time but we will remove them. 

Is there anything I could look out for if the tree was to start having problems because of its bark being removed? 

Try and get a side-by-side comparison picture of the tips, buds, leaves, fruit, or whatever else you can of both trees. Tricky to get an accurate ID with two vastly different stems.

(Edit to add: the two trees are quite clearly growing from two different sources, they might well be the same species but it looks like two trees... unless they started growing lower down and the ground level was then built up to be in a raised bed, in which case you've got bigger problems. Doesn't look like it in the photos though.)

It looks like the lights are starting to girdle the stem lower down, if left on it'll harm the tree more as time goes by, and be harder to remove when you do.

What brand of power washer did he use? If it was just a crappy Lidl one you'll probably get away with it. It hasn't exactly gone right through the cambium layer. Tree will probably panic a bit, just be kind to it.

Mulch the base with rotted woodchip or bark out to the dripline, feed it with seaweed or comfrey extract and a dose of activated biochar, and most importantly, find a smelly hippy to sprinkle some biodynamic horn manure tea around it. Then cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Edited by peds