Acer with coral spot. Any advice?

logwood

Hi,

I have the following acer tree.

pictures below.

a large limb snapped off in the summer and I cut it back to the collar. Not the correct time I know but felt it better than leaving a rough snapped branch break.

i went to check it out this November and noticed breaking bark lower down from the cut and coral spot around the discoloured, breaking bark.

its a major limb so don’t really want to remove it below the infection but also want to stop the tree dying completely. Does anybody have an experience or advice on what to do? Will it survive if left? Can I treat it without removing basically half the tree below the infection?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am hoping it won’t be fatal as it’s a wonderful tree.

IMG_3282.HEIC

IMG_3280.HEIC

IMG_3280.HEIC IMG_3282.HEIC

8 hours ago, logwood said:

Hi,

I have the following acer tree.

pictures below.

a large limb snapped off in the summer and I cut it back to the collar. Not the correct time I know but felt it better than leaving a rough snapped branch break.

i went to check it out this November and noticed breaking bark lower down from the cut and coral spot around the discoloured, breaking bark.

its a major limb so don’t really want to remove it below the infection but also want to stop the tree dying completely. Does anybody have an experience or advice on what to do? Will it survive if left? Can I treat it without removing basically half the tree below the infection?

Any advice would be appreciated. I am hoping it won’t be fatal as it’s a wonderful tree.

IMG_3282.HEIC 2.05 MB · 14 downloads

IMG_3280.HEIC 3.27 MB · 10 downloads

IMG_3280.HEIC 3.27 MB · 8 downloads IMG_3282.HEIC 2.05 MB · 9 downloads

You can’t really prune it out as there will be nothing left of the tree. You could try the plant health care approach to boost vitality and the trees ability to cope.  Removing competing vegetation, mulching, biochar, etc.  

By the way, the best time to prune deciduous trees is in the summer. 

4 hours ago, logwood said:

Just before Xmas is the last time to prune and definitely when dormant.

yeah, the pics are apple only unfortunately 

it’s a real tricky one.   

The wound response of deciduous trees in the winter is zero. No CODIT, no occlusion of the wounds.  Plus, the vast majority of decay fungi sporulate in the autumn so fungal spores are high.  Risk of colonisation is at its greatest in the winter and lowest in the summer.  In general pruning is best in summer. That whole pruning in the winter is about 40 years out of date but still something peddled out by gardeners. The RHS still recommend flush cutting.  Bleeding from pruning isn’t a big issue. It’s more to do with cut sizes and positioning, I.e. target pruning. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chris at eden said:

The wound response of deciduous trees in the winter is zero. No CODIT, no occlusion of the wounds.  Plus, the vast majority of decay fungi sporulate in the autumn so fungal spores are high.  Risk of colonisation is at its greatest in the winter and lowest in the summer.  In general pruning is best in summer. That whole pruning in the winter is about 40 years out of date but still something peddled out by gardeners. The RHS still recommend flush cutting.  Bleeding from pruning isn’t a big issue. It’s more to do with cut sizes and positioning, I.e. target pruning. 

Often think about this.....If we prune trees in the winter during dormancy, CODIT doesn't occur until Spring, so we may as well prune in the spring.....for many trees Spring is a bad time to prune, so wait until the summer before spores are high. Have you got any links you could share?

6 hours ago, Chris at eden said:

Why flush cut?