Walbro carb problem

openspaceman

On 11/12/2023 at 21:03, adw said:

Interesting proposition, Aspen the wonder cure, no chance!

Wonder cure probably not, cant fix broken.

But carb cleaner isn't either, useful but not a cure all. I thought 'super' unleaded had some nasties in it that helped clean ?

Add in a running engine ie vibration and heat plus exercise for the carb - you never know.

Could be completely wrong here, its completely subjective, often feels like an engine thats not been used for a while goes better on day 2 of use. Might be softening of metering diaphragm, change in the weather or sumtin ? 😒

On 10/12/2023 at 11:27, openspaceman said:

So crud could be either side of the flap to foul the working?

Yes, although the little retainer disc with its castlations faces inwards towards flap disc so less surface area to stick to.... if sticky is the issue....

On 11/12/2023 at 21:03, adw said:

Interesting proposition, Aspen the wonder cure, no chance!

Try sticking a bit of Aspen on a cloth and rubbing a greasy work bench with it. It has a real ability to cut through the grease, a bit like brake cleaner does.

I would say if everything else has failed then it is possible it could work and worth a go if you have some lurking in your workshop. 

What sort of ultrasonic cleaner has been used, Was an additive used in the water, Was it a heated? Can it blow holes in aluminium foil?

I Usually take pretty much everything off the carb and stick it in for 30 mins, use a bit of carb cleaner, brake fluid and WD40 on it and then do it again and repeat until you are pissed off!

59 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

Yes, although the little retainer disc with its castlations faces inwards towards flap disc so less surface area to stick to.... if sticky is the issue....

Did you rebuild that check valve in your pic?

I haven't got back on to the einhell yet. I have a little used 026 a mate brought in because it wouldn't run, loaned out a 262 for him to cut some logs. The 026 shows a short from the coil grounding wire to ground.

Just now, openspaceman said:

I haven't got back on to the einhell yet. I have a little used 026 a mate brought in because it wouldn't run, loaned out a 262 for him to cut some logs. The 026 shows a short from the coil grounding wire to ground.

Try looking at the top AV mount - the one by the airbox. The coil wiring can chafe on the AV mount and then short the kill wire out.

262 - nice machines!!

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

Yes.

The carb is for my toy chinese top handle which was in need of help when I got it. It was cheap as chips so after making it work and being utterly upset about how crap it was in standard trim its been though some changes. Runs great although I might have gone a tad too far with inlet timng.

After that I was pursuaded by a Bellhopper video that increasing the carb size was a benefit and as part of that I moved the check valve opening towards the edge of the venturi where air flow shouId be higher. It all works fine although in all honesty I cant tell any difference in the before and after carb mods.

But yes, the check valve survived being opened up, shortened some and swaged back together. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, spudulike said:

262 - nice machines!!

Yes 30 years old and it is the second time he has borrowed it, he wants to buy it now but I still have two others left over from when I was contracting. I can see I'll be left with the 026, the short is from the coil unit spade terminal to earth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/12/2023 at 20:11, openspaceman said:

Yes 30 years old and it is the second time he has borrowed it, he wants to buy it now but I still have two others left over from when I was contracting. I can see I'll be left with the 026, the short is from the coil unit spade terminal to earth.

Fixed with a chinky coil. It was a problem with the plug cap I think.

Not wanting to go out to play in the rain I took the walbro wt840a 748 carb metering diaphragm off

walbrocheckv.png.c93f02a2ff0534967ab379b81b0373ea.png

When cleaner is squirted through the HI adjuster screw hole it comes out of the main jet and through the red circled check valve.

Rowena don't list the wt840a this high in the series so I don't know if the check valve is available.

I suppose I should just screw a self tapper in to the check valve to pull it out?

A google shows this carb is used in radio controlled cars