Monkeyd's big phat totaly random Tree type thing - photovisual thread...........

David Humphries

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive got the G11, it was a presant for my 30. are you going to get the ring flash or any of the other attachments for it? I kept getting shadows when I took macro shots and was told to turn the flash off!

tis true that a ring flash is the way to go for macro, it simply makes for killer close ups, you can do a cheap cheat if you have a dedicated flash gun and an off camera extansion lead though, the other way round the lighting issue is to buy a cheap reflector, I have a large one that folds into a smal circle on a wire frame.:thumbup:

Ive got the G11, it was a presant for my 30. are you going to get the ring flash or any of the other attachments for it? I kept getting shadows when I took macro shots and was told to turn the flash off!

Nice present :thumbup1:

Probably will look at getting a ring flash later in the year.

tis true that a ring flash is the way to go for macro, it simply makes for killer close ups, you can do a cheap cheat if you have a dedicated flash gun and an off camera extansion lead though, the other way round the lighting issue is to buy a cheap reflector, I have a large one that folds into a smal circle on a wire frame.:thumbup:

Does the ring flash create back shadows Tony?

Nice present :thumbup1:

Probably will look at getting a ring flash later in the year.

Does the ring flash create back shadows Tony?

It can do, its hard to balance lighting extreme close ups with having the background natural rather than black or at the least very dark, even when there is good light you sometimes get a shadow, get creative with a reflector to counteract or a second slave unit to fire from the rear.

i generaly find in average daylight with a twin bulbed light (uni directional) it eliminates the shadows 99% of the time.

heres one for all you phot fans, find a awsome tree in a good spooky location, set up your camera on a slow shutter on a tripod and run about firing a hand held flash unit shooting the flash at the tree a few times at specific points (experiment here) you will not show on the exposure as you move, but the lighting will, tis awsome!

sometimes your seen in a ghostly relief!

Heres one for you to look at david. Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ7 -£249

If you google brand name + review you'll get a good idea of its pros and cons

I'm just off to jessops now to get a bit of hands on research done

These are great cameras,very good on close up pics, and respectable non digital zoom.:thumbup1: