South Wales Courses/Advice

MaxSim90

Hi all, 

I've just joined on here and looking for a bit of advice if anyone can help. Apologies as I expect the "how to get into the industry" topic has been done to death. 

I'm 33 and stuck in an office job I hate. Always wanted to get into tree work, but for one reason or another I haven't. I currently only work 3 days a week as I look after twin daughters on the other 2 days. They will start full time school next Sept, so my plan is to do the chainsaw maintenance and felling course in early 2024, pick up some weekend work (if possible), and then try go part time when they start school. This will give me time to transition out of my current job without the immediate loss of income. 

My questions which I'd appreciate any comments on are the following: 

1. Can anyone recommend a course provider in Cardiff/South wales? 

2. Although I am on a budget, are there any other courses I should consider instead of/as well as maintenance and felling? 

3. Is my expectation of picking up part time work reasonable? Is this generally accepted in the industry or not really? 

4. Any other comments or advice would be helpful. 

Thanks - appreciate the help. 

Id say

2. I wouldn't do more courses until you get going and know it's for you. Cross cut and felling, then get your own helmet, saw trousers and boots and you've got the basic needed to be useful on site. 

3. It is pretty common, trick is finding the person who needs you, at the time you're looking, in the place you want to be. You will probably have to make a lot of calls to get going and maybe compromise on one of the three eg it's harder in general to find extra weekend work.

4. Find a good training provider and talk to everyone you can as much as possible, you need to find and meet people on the local grapevine.

Good luck!

• Like 1

As Dan's comments above, but I'd add a 4th compromise that might have to be made; Money. Probably obvious but might be worth saying. Nobody will pay very much when you're just starting out, with little experience and part-time, so you will face some drop in income whatever happens

There is a large element of "right place, right time" I think. I was lucky by indirectly finding a guy who needed some help with some manual forestry cutting work, thinning. (To be blunt about it; he needed me with my recently acquired tickets to be able to get the job. As his had expired!) I worked my socks off for 6 weeks and got paid bugger all at the end of it. Wasn't too p*ssed though as it was invaluable experience of using a saw in anger and I wasn't doing anything else much at the time anyway.

19 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Id say

2. I wouldn't do more courses until you get going and know it's for you. Cross cut and felling, then get your own helmet, saw trousers and boots and you've got the basic needed to be useful on site. 

3. It is pretty common, trick is finding the person who needs you, at the time you're looking, in the place you want to be. You will probably have to make a lot of calls to get going and maybe compromise on one of the three eg it's harder in general to find extra weekend work.

4. Find a good training provider and talk to everyone you can as much as possible, you need to find and meet people on the local grapevine.

Good luck!

Sorry, slightly off topic, but you raise the point of picking up PPE. I cut a bit of firewood so have some chaps. Are these often used on site or do most arbs favour trousers? I’m just trying to figure out where my money is best placed to start with, especially as I will need to upgrade my saw at some point too.

Cheers

You'll want trousers if you're going to be climbing, doing aerial chainsaw work. Specifically Type C, which gives all round leg protection. Chaps normally only protect the front of the legs.

ACTIVE-WORKWEAR.CO.UK

No matter what finds you in need of a chainsaw, the single most important thing to keep in mind is your safety.   PPE...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Chaps are worn by cowboys.

Never seen any worn on site, groundworkers usually wear type A 's .

I have had a pair of chaps in the van for years, for the rare time I have gone to a non sawing job, and found I need to use a saw. They are nothing like as comfortable as proper chainsaw trousers. I have always used type C as I climb, but have recently bought a pair of Stihl type A. They are so comfortable and light I use them all the time when not climbing.

• Like 1