Cheap house for sale in Devon

scbk

Looks tempting though, sell what I have here, buy outright, have some cash left over (the 30k one, not the million). I know a lot of guys working in the city (UK) here who will commute for more than an hour, an hours drive to work? Nothing to them.

(I have to show face in work a couple of days a month, back to back if I want, so -could- live anywhere in the world really, just so long as I can get those 2 days in, have a hotel overnight - I guess you could live in the sticks in Sweden and do the same.. till the winter hits and you can't commute long distance so easily)

The house in Devon- if you look at Google Street view (taken 9 years ago) the house actually looks pretty tidy and presentable from the outside- you wonder what could have happened to allow it to get so bad. Average house price in that street is £200k. There's 5 rooms in that house and reckon you could get things fairly orderly for say £12k a room. £60k, let's say £80k for contingencies. Still could leave a decent return for an investor.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scbk said:

Likewise. You can tell a lot about a person from the contents of their home. That poor geezer, could have had a few cans with him (outside) and talked about WW2 and baby seals.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

But that's in the middle of knowhere J,with few job prospects. Houses are cheap where you live for that very reason.

List up a house 30km from Stockholm.

I don't think that you can compare a house in Ilfracombe to within 30km of a country's capital. Infact, in terms of infrastructure and opportunities, there is more to go on here than in North Devon. 

7 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Not a lot down that neck of the woods apart from tractors and wild boar.

There is a fair bit. Don't get me wrong, if you don't have the right skills, work won't be so straight forward, but if you're in either primary or secondary industry and you're good at it, you'll do well. Within 45 minutes of us, we have a major IKEA factory, Nordan windows and the global manufacturing hub of Volvo articulated haulers (employing 800 people). I have returned to an earlier line of work, and now lead the resaw line at a large exporting sawmill, which processes around 1000t of roundwood a day and exports 40% of that to the UK.

7 hours ago, Slicer Dicer said:

Spot on. My father in law had a lovely 3 bed country house in Sweden, sold it for around £80k but the reality is nearest small town is half an hour away and the only thing there is folk who like a drink.

Like any rural area, there are issues of course. There has been a massive influx of European migrants in recent years though, so the demographic has gotten younger and more diverse. Loads of Germans, Dutch, Danes, *insert just about any European nationality here*.

7 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

Here are the same size house's 30km from Stockholm Central.

WWW.HEMNET.SE

Bostäder till salu på Hemnet i Sverige.

Your looking at about a million quid.

After about an hours drive in any direction from Stockholm it starts looking like a David Lynch film.

Within 30km of Stockholms centre isn't a fair comparison. And why does it need to be the capital? We live 1hr from Växjö, a city the size of Exeter, 35 minutes from Vetlanda (a smaller city) and 25 minutes from Hultsfred, a large town. We have all we need. You can fly to the UK from Växjö.

6 hours ago, Steven P said:

Looks tempting though, sell what I have here, buy outright, have some cash left over (the 30k one, not the million). I know a lot of guys working in the city (UK) here who will commute for more than an hour, an hours drive to work? Nothing to them.

(I have to show face in work a couple of days a month, back to back if I want, so -could- live anywhere in the world really, just so long as I can get those 2 days in, have a hotel overnight - I guess you could live in the sticks in Sweden and do the same.. till the winter hits and you can't commute long distance so easily)

Driving here in winter is a doddle. You have a few days with dodgy snow (the wet, slushy stuff that everyone hates) but for the most part it's like driving at other times of year. Almost everyone has studded winter tyres and you just drive at 80% of your summer speed. 

I envy those people who have true freedom about where they can live due to remote working. That's a wonderful opportunity to have, and potentially quite exciting. 

6 hours ago, nepia said:

Just out of interest what is a slutpriser (just above the map)? ☺️

Haha! If only. 

Slut means end and priser is prices. So Slutpris is the final price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mike Hill said:

Do you work in a factory now J?

Did you sell your forwarder in the end?

Hardly any Swedes want to work in the sticks,there just isn't any life or opportunity there.

It's a sawmill, but I guess at that scale, not dissimilar to a factory.

The small machine forwarding didn't work out. Combination of factors really - landowners unwilling to pay much or anything extra for a small machine, massive boulders everywhere, payment on volume underbark, not over and excessively complicated due to there being so many product niches. I did a site on a large forwarder that I kid you not had 20 different product types. It's too chaotic for my somewhat rigid mind and whilst I barely found any mud anywhere (hurrah!), it proved to be complicated and stressful.

The sawmill work is fantastic. For a start, it's 27.5km away, which I nearly always cycle. I have a variety of routes (road and gravel) which keep me entertained. It's well paid, there is loads of work and I'm told that I am (by a massive margin) the most productive operator of the resaw line that they've ever had. And the machine has been installed for 17 years. It properly appeals to my ADHD/Autistic tendencies as I've got about 10 different things to keep an eye on at any one time, 4 different control stations and I still find the time to sit on my ass and watch the computer monitors for half the time. I love the continual efficiency savings that can be made, tweaking the machine here and there to get an extra 1%, 2% and so on. None of the chaos of working in the forest, but I still cycle through the forest every day. Best of both worlds really.

I'm also doing some work doing gravel cycle holiday guiding. I'm leading a couple of Swedish tours next summer. Get paid to ride my bike, stay in nice hotels and eat lots of good food.

And we're also doing holiday lets, which proved to be popular this year and will (I expect) be more popular next year too.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Big J said:

I don't think that you can compare a house in Ilfracombe to within 30km of a country's capital. Infact, in terms of infrastructure and opportunities, there is more to go on here than in North Devon. 

There is a fair bit. Don't get me wrong, if you don't have the right skills, work won't be so straight forward, but if you're in either primary or secondary industry and you're good at it, you'll do well. Within 45 minutes of us, we have a major IKEA factory, Nordan windows and the global manufacturing hub of Volvo articulated haulers (employing 800 people). I have returned to an earlier line of work, and now lead the resaw line at a large exporting sawmill, which processes around 1000t of roundwood a day and exports 40% of that to the UK.

Like any rural area, there are issues of course. There has been a massive influx of European migrants in recent years though, so the demographic has gotten younger and more diverse. Loads of Germans, Dutch, Danes, *insert just about any European nationality here*.

Within 30km of Stockholms centre isn't a fair comparison. And why does it need to be the capital? We live 1hr from Växjö, a city the size of Exeter, 35 minutes from Vetlanda (a smaller city) and 25 minutes from Hultsfred, a large town. We have all we need. You can fly to the UK from Växjö.

Driving here in winter is a doddle. You have a few days with dodgy snow (the wet, slushy stuff that everyone hates) but for the most part it's like driving at other times of year. Almost everyone has studded winter tyres and you just drive at 80% of your summer speed. 

I envy those people who have true freedom about where they can live due to remote working. That's a wonderful opportunity to have, and potentially quite exciting. 

Haha! If only. 

Slut means end and priser is prices. So Slutpris is the final price.

Pics of the sawmill please - and some more pics! 1000 tonne a day is incredible! 

• Like 2