Oregon Chain Grinder Questions

Donnie

One of the guys I cut oversize firewood for has recently bought a processor and I've bought the Oregon chain grinder with hydraulic clamping. 

Got it bolted up, and tried one of his .404 chains with the 5mm disc (mid sized one that you are given with the grinder). 

For angles, he is 99 percent hardwood and I've heard 35 degrees (which is max on the grinder) is the best way to sharpen up. 
35/35/10 degrees. 

Is this true? 

Also, the chain I'm working on I'm trying not take off loads of material, but it is looking like it will need a fair bit taken off as the corner of the cutter is a bit chipped. Am I fine to set my grinder away to the finished length but take it very gradual cutting in to the top plate?

Probably a bad explanation of what I'm trying to get across. 

Here's a few photos which are a bit shite as it won't focus. 

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg

21 hours ago, JDon said:

One of the guys I cut oversize firewood for has recently bought a processor and I've bought the Oregon chain grinder with hydraulic clamping. 

Got it bolted up, and tried one of his .404 chains with the 5mm disc (mid sized one that you are given with the grinder). 

For angles, he is 99 percent hardwood and I've heard 35 degrees (which is max on the grinder) is the best way to sharpen up. 
35/35/10 degrees. 

Is this true? 

Also, the chain I'm working on I'm trying not take off loads of material, but it is looking like it will need a fair bit taken off as the corner of the cutter is a bit chipped. Am I fine to set my grinder away to the finished length but take it very gradual cutting in to the top plate?

Probably a bad explanation of what I'm trying to get across. 

Here's a few photos which are a bit shite as it won't focus. 

IMG_3709.jpeg

IMG_3710.jpeg

IMG_3712.jpeg

IMG_3713.jpeg

Keep it cool with some slurry so it does not anneal it .

• Like 1

Anytime you need to take more than a smidge off you'll get heat build up. Small tooth and nowhere for it to dissapate to easily. Small dabs are all well and good but you're still waiting for the heat to soak away. Far better to add coolant as any engineer will tell you.

A CBN wheel and water coolant via mist unit transforms it. I posted on another thread about it.

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, JDon said:

Aye am well aware of overheating things drilling holes etc. Can always go around it twice if its bad taking half at a time. 

Does anyone do this for other people, how much are you charging per chain?

I've got an automatic sharpener, only just looking at sharpening for others but I think £2.50 for an 84 link 7/32 chain. They're only £12 new so by the time you add postage you can't justify a lot.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, gdh said:

I've got an automatic sharpener, only just looking at sharpening for others but I think £2.50 for an 84 link 7/32 chain. They're only £12 new so by the time you add postage you can't justify a lot.

You’re talking about Rotatech £12 chain. I’ve always been an ardent Stihl user but have heard reports of bad metal recently. Points not holding, chrome flaking off the top plate. Has anyone here seen that? If it’s the case then firstly I’ll be depressed as hell and secondly I’ll be thinking why not buy crap as long as it’s cheap crap.

Edited by AHPP

14 minutes ago, AHPP said:

You’re talking about Rotatech £12 chain. I’ve always been an ardent Stihl user but have heard reports of bad metal recently. Points not holding, chrome flaking off the top plate. Has anyone here seen that? If it’s the case then firstly I’ll be depressed as hell and secondly I’ll be thinking why not buy crap as long as it’s cheap crap.

I haven't heard anything bad recently but I haven't used Stihl for years. I used to use Stihl and Oregon but for the last 5 plus years I've been completely Rotatech. I did a few comparisons on durability and there was nothing in it so I couldn't see the point in spending triple the money.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gdh said:

I'm sure a fella near me has an automatic one and he is around 5 a chain vat included... 2.50 seems very cheap!

8 hours ago, JDon said:

I'm sure a fella near me has an automatic one and he is around 5 a chain vat included... 2.50 seems very cheap!

Yeah, I would be £2.50 plus vat and more for a 404 chain. It's a guess to be honest because I only got it around the beginning of the year.

There's not much time involved, whenever I walk past I just hang another chain on and leave it going . I'm not looking at doing it as a big thing, just if someone asks I might as well make use of the machine.