Mechanised Flail / hedgecutting cost- how do you charge

Jamie edwards

4m to 1,8m is quite a reduction. If any of the growth is over about 3" the flail will make a big mess of it so you maybe better off with a saw blade rather than a flail. 

I normally flail with a baby flail on 100hp tractor and that is a 5m reach flail so you are already looking at quite the tractor flail set up to do it. 

If you don't have cab glass on the avsnts make sure you have some operator protection because the flails throw stuff everywhere including in the cab.

• Like 1

Wouldn't that make the Avant more if a fair weather setup?.

Not saying I'm a complete soppy northerner, but I don't think there would be many takers on a cold and rainy day. Hedge cutting does take a fair amount of concentration to keep going straight and getting a decent finished cut.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brushcutter said:

4m to 1,8m is quite a reduction. If any of the growth is over about 3" the flail will make a big mess of it so you maybe better off with a saw blade rather than a flail. 

I normally flail with a baby flail on 100hp tractor and that is a 5m reach flail so you are already looking at quite the tractor flail set up to do it. 

If you don't have cab glass on the avsnts make sure you have some operator protection because the flails throw stuff everywhere including in the cab.

THanks, yes, all of this above is what I suspected- a load of flying debris and not much operator (or public) protection

4 hours ago, doobin said:

Get a decent saw on a tractor or digger in to reduce the hedge. Then buy the best bit of kit to fit your Avant and the other jobs you have going forwards.

sounds like an idea. do you have a saw you could recommend? DB machinery do a multi blade one that looks more like a lawn mower but looks ok

1 hour ago, Jamie edwards said:

sounds like an idea. do you have a saw you could recommend? DB machinery do a multi blade one that looks more like a lawn mower but looks ok

Mcconel power trim I think it is called. It has 4 circular saws in a row and the biggest one will do up to 6"

You will need a bit tractor to put it on. There are dealerships that have them in their hire fleets. You do need to be a good operator to make it work well. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brushcutter said:

Mcconel power trim I think it is called. It has 4 circular saws in a row and the biggest one will do up to 6"

You will need a bit tractor to put it on. There are dealerships that have them in their hire fleets. You do need to be a good operator to make it work well. 

Yes, I was suggesting to get a tractor with saw in with an operator for the initial clear, sorry for not making it particularly clear!

• Like 1