Oregon Jet Fit strimmer Head - new springs

Muddy42

Does anyone know where I can order new springs for these, the internal ones that are accessible once you dismantle the head, that hold the pawls tight to the line.  Somehow I managed to destroy a spring. I suspect 4mm square flexiblade line is actually on the limit of what these can handle as I have had a few blockages.  Works great otherwise.  Nothing on Google. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Muddy42 said:

Does anyone know where I can order new springs for these, the internal ones that are accessible once you dismantle the head, that hold the pawls tight to the line.  Somehow I managed to destroy a spring. I suspect 4mm square flexiblade line is actually on the limit of what these can handle as I have had a few blockages.  Works great otherwise.  Nothing on Google. Thanks.

I have done it in the past , once . I think I got them from my local dealer ( DM Chainsaws ) 

Just now, Stubby said:

I have done it in the past , once . I think I got them from my local dealer ( DM Chainsaws ) 

Yes I'll try my dealer.

At the moment I'm running a four line head with two lines opposite each other.  This works better a the nut is protected, but it would be nice to have all four working, so that if a line got stuck I could cut it off and keep going with the two spare holes. Opening up the head in the field is not ideal with the risk of springs flying off everywhere.

Ebay has the whole unit for £15?

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Jet Fit 2 Line Strimmer Head Easy Load Head For Most...

Might be not be genuine?

Cheaper than the parts price?

WWW.MOWERMAGIC.CO.UK

Oregon Serrated Pawl and Spring 111166 - Available from Mower Magic

47 minutes ago, Muddy42 said:

Yes I'll try my dealer.

At the moment I'm running a four line head with two lines opposite each other.  This works better a the nut is protected, but it would be nice to have all four working, so that if a line got stuck I could cut it off and keep going with the two spare holes. Opening up the head in the field is not ideal with the risk of springs flying off everywhere.

That has always been the way I use them . A 4 way head with 2 lines . as you say the nut is under flush with a 4 way . Have posted it many times 🙂IMG_20170619_180519.thumb.jpg.5b32820c39372cf44a7719c951f98095.jpg

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Might be not be genuine?

Genius, thank you.  I have ordered the ebay head.  I'm not sure how I missed both those links.

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

That has always been the way I use them . A 4 way head with 2 lines . as you say the nut is under flush with a 4 way . Have posted it many times 🙂IMG_20170619_180519.thumb.jpg.5b32820c39372cf44a7719c951f98095.jpg

Yes it works well, thanks.  I probably read your post, I can't remember.  Although I have often wondered why Oregon didn't put the four hex bolts the other way up, safely facing the sky?  It takes a bit of care and picking out muck not to strip them.  One day I'll probably manage to smash them up. 

On 31/07/2023 at 12:07, Stere said:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Jet Fit 2 Line Strimmer Head Easy Load Head For Most...

Might be not be genuine?

WWW.MOWERMAGIC.CO.UK

Oregon Serrated Pawl and Spring 111166 - Available from Mower Magic

This jet fit head arrived and it is definitely a copy, but a good one at that.  I'd have no issues using this other than the four hex screws are made of very soft metal and I nearly stripped one. I only needed one spring but I'll keep everything else incase I need any other parts.  All the other parts look fully interchangeable with the original Oregon head..   

Just thinking about your why they didn't put the hex head screws on the opposite site.

Direction of rotation keeps them from unwinding out. You could always swap them out for a higher strength version, bit to be honest they'll still wear.

17 hours ago, GarethM said:

Just thinking about your why they didn't put the hex head screws on the opposite site.

Direction of rotation keeps them from unwinding out. You could always swap them out for a higher strength version, bit to be honest they'll still wear.

Not sure about that? All other brushcutter blade bolts or heads I know of are reverse threaded, (when looking from below) to keep them on.

These hex screws are right hand thread. Surely if staying on was a problem, right hand thread (when looking from above) is subject to the same forces as left hand reverse thread (when looking from below)?

My head hurts now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

Not sure about that? All other brushcutter blade bolts or heads I know of are reverse threaded, (when looking from below) to keep them on.

These hex screws are right hand thread. Surely if staying on was a problem, right hand thread (when looking from above) is subject to the same forces as left hand reverse thread (when looking from below)?

My head hurts now.

The only time a fixing is subject to the direction of rotation is if it is on the axis of rotation . Anything out board of this won't matter if its RH or LH thread ( as you say ! ) Same as the clutch nut on your chainsaw .

Edited by Stubby