560 cutting out

Acerforestry

11 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

I'm sure this will have been asked before but anyway..560xp sometimes runs for maybe half an hour, sometimes less depending on how it feels apparently, before cutting out on tickover, or refusing to start again after refuelling. Advice please from anyone who had the same

so I ask are you leaving the saw on tick over for 1/2 hour before it cuts out or are you running it full chat for 1/2 hour then dropping straight to tickover ?

18 minutes ago, Acerforestry said:

I'm sure this will have been asked before but anyway..560xp sometimes runs for maybe half an hour, sometimes less depending on how it feels apparently, before cutting out on tickover, or refusing to start again after refuelling. Advice please from anyone who had the same

Early saws were susceptible to vapor lock especially in hot weather . There were mods done to counter this . Andrew will know @adw

It realy depends on the age of the saw, however to go through the changes, remove the hose from the breather , this will stop fuel vapour entering the filter elbow, dont forget to blank the the conection on the filter elbow, next if the fuel hose is clipped into the induction manifold remove it and shorten the hose, re connect to the carb ( you will need to turn the the carb inlet connection ) this will take the hose away from the heat of the cylinder, if the saw is a G model remove the the heater pad sandwiched between the carb and the filter housing, open up the cylinder cover on the right hand side ( not in the carb side of the cover or this will stop the centrifugal air cleaning ) remove the the deco valve and fit the blank, get it connected to common service tool and reset the carb settings, if the saw has an orange frame air filter try to obtain a yellow frame filter, the orange framed filter id very very fine and even though looks clean can be blocked, this will cause auto tune to lean off and run too lean, finally pressure test and compression test, any loss of compression will affect the idle. It goes without saying basic maintence should be adheared to, cleaning any clogging in the starter housing grill or between the cylinder fins, never use stale fuel, replace the fuel filter regularly.  On rare occasions i have loaded the 555 firmware onto them.                                                            

• Like 1

As ADW says, check out the tank breather. I had one in recently where someone had fitted the incorrect parts and blocked the tank breather correctly.

Other than that - clean the air filter, the orange ones get blocked very quickly and this makes the AT lean up the mixture to a point the saw is running fairly lean. The only way is non water fluid and an air line. WD40, carb cleaner, brake cleaner, fuel etc.

These saws can suffer from worn pistons and the low compression can cause these issues. You usually can tell how good the compression is by pulling the saw over slowly and feeling the pull on the handle.

Other than that, the gauze strainer is always a favourite to check out.

• Like 1

Thanks for all replies, vapour lock I've heard about and is a possibility though it seemed to do this less in the reasonable heat of June than the pretty awful cool and wet conditions of late - on Monday it scarcely managed 5 minutes before playing up. All routine maintenance I'm pretty good with, and air filter doesn't look that discoloured but I will put another in. Will report back after trying all possibilities, cheers

• 1 month later...