2017 3.5 Transit tipper DPF problems

Excels1or

Looking for some advice! Bought the above vehicle 6 months ago. Around a month into running it there was points in time where it would blow white smoke every 2-300 miles then stop. We thought it was just a regen on the DPF and put fuel cleaning additive in which definitely made it a lot better.

Around 2 weeks ago the "exhaust filter full, drive to clear" regeneration message came up. I drove it and it cleared the message. Since then there has been almost no white smoke. A week ago however a solid engine warning light came on, so we took it to the garage. The garage did a forced regeneration and cleaned the DPF (sprayed cleaner).  Since then the filter % on the dash has crept up to saying its full, until you stop the engine, turn it back on and its reading 95% for a few miles then says its full......it appears the passive regen isn't working and the vehicle isn't coming up with the  "exhaust filter full, drive to clear". Anyone got any ideas or input? Many thanks in advance.

I watched one last night DPF problems, guy spent thousands and not got sorted including a new particulate filter etc.

This guy hooked it up to the diagnostic, realised the wing mirror had been replaced that didn't have a temp sensor.

Did his usual DPF cleaning, new wing mirror and other than a fan that needing replacing all sorted.

Having watched plenty, I'd suggest looking at the fuel vaporiser, you can do that without taking it apart and probably on your driveway.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, GarethM said:

I watched one last night DPF problems, guy spent thousands and not got sorted including a new particulate filter etc.

This guy hooked it up to the diagnostic, realised the wing mirror had been replaced that didn't have a temp sensor.

Did his usual DPF cleaning, new wing mirror and other than a fan that needing replacing all sorted.

Having watched plenty, I'd suggest looking at the fuel vaporiser, you can do that without taking it apart and probably on your driveway.

Yup. I've got a feeling its a sensor telling the computer the DPF is clogged....if it weren't illegal I'd have the DPF out altogether and mapped out....

Refering to his videos, that sensor pipe is the way he adds the cleaner.

Which seems the most logical way to add a cleaner without removing the DPF, if the vaporiser is the problem it shouldn't reoccur once sorted.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Refering to his videos, that sensor pipe is the way he adds the cleaner.

Which seems the most logical way to add a cleaner without removing the DPF, if the vaporiser is the problem it shouldn't reoccur once sorted.

I know for a fact the garage added the cleaner on the engine manifold between the cat

Without wheeling out the ole trust me I'm a welder quote and insert other job titles as necessary 😉.

Probably best finding a dedicated DPF garage that's got a decent reputation.

But never a bad thing checking the simple things like the vaporiser or add some more cleaner but let it sit for 30-45 minutes.

Anything more complicated is a diagnostic tool job and it's pointless just going to a normal plug & play change a part kinda garage.

Especially if it's adblue as that's an electronic injector system.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

This should solve it:

1 remove dpf filter

2 hammer a bit of re bar through it multiple times until the guts fall out

3 re fit dpf

4 drive

(said in jest I’m no dpf expert and eggcept no liability 😂)

• Haha 1