Aerial Rescue Practice

krummholz

5 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Must admit I’m a little surprised by some of the comments on here. There is a requirement to be able to facilitate an aerial rescue of a stricken climber, yes it’s quicker if the climber can lower himself, but if he’s unable to due to unconsciousness, major trauma to a hand or arm where he’s unable to operate his lowering device, epileptic fit, heart attack, stroke, etc, then there is a reason for someone on the ground to assist him. Did my aerial “tick in the box course” 25 years ago and though then what pain in the arse it was, slow, potentially too late to alter the outcome? What’s wrong with practising/ refreshing something if it could potentially save someone’s life? We do it with CPR/ Trauma first aid(don’t we🤔). How long do we have to spend to refresh once a month, every 6 months? Couple of hours? How often do we all have a job and finish early day? Thought it was human nature to help someone who needs it? Or are you going to be like most of the people on the ground in the HSE reports and pretend you didn’t see it🤔

The requirement and ability to be rescued is always there on any job I am on, I just put more weight and thought into self rescue than relying on others to do so, apart from being unconscious, I am confident I will get myself to the ground.
How many times do you practice aerial rescue? Show us the recorded data that you have collated as evidence for your business as part of the MHSAWA.

51 minutes ago, krummholz said:

Surely we all know that depending on the Class and type of chainsaw trousers, and the size of chainsaw being used, that chainsaw ppe doesn't remove the risk of injury, only mitigates it.

And maybe they weren't wearing PPE. They still needed an aerial rescue, they got one from a prepared and competent rescue climber, and it probably saved their life.

A prepared and competent climber who completely ignored the Health and Safety at Work act and allowed his colleague to cut in the tree with no PPE on?

15 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

What part of someone carrying out an aerial rescue is so unbelievable to you? 

I haven’t a clue what you are talking about. I haven’t made any claims that someone else carrying out an aerial rescue isn’t valid, of course it is in some circumstances, but self rescue if possible is the fastest and safest route, what part of that are you struggling with?

27 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

I haven’t a clue what you are talking about. I haven’t made any claims that someone else carrying out an aerial rescue isn’t valid, of course it is in some circumstances, but self rescue if possible is the fastest and safest route, what part of that are you struggling with?

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

…the rest of what you are claiming sounds like bullshit.

You were calling bullshit on me saying i know people who’ve carried out aerial rescues. I’m simply asking why you find that so unbelievable. 

I completely agree that wherever possible self rescue should be the first choice. But some times it isn’t an option, hence the discussion on aerial rescues. 

I started out 23 years ago. I've worked with quite a few with their aerial rescue and apparently being able to climb. Unfortunately it's not been the case. I've got epilepsy, and this has reminded me of having to be rescued and I believe it took 30 minutes. I'd totally forgotten about it to be honest as when I wake up from a fit, I'm usually confused and very angry not able to function properly. Luckily I wasn't using the saw at the time. I think with regular training and a pre installed access line this sort of stuff would be alot quicker. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5thelement said:

I currently live in France and I  work here, in the UK and several other countries worldwide, what’s your point?

I just wondered where your keen interest in TG1 came from, your profile suggested that you're based in France.

A prepared and competent climber who completely ignored the Health and Safety at Work act and allowed his colleague to cut in the tree with no PPE on?

Exactly! Something to think about when everyone's recovered.

How many times do you practice aerial rescue? Show us the recorded data that you have collated as evidence for your business as part of the MHSAWA.

This is a public forum where people who work with trees (and some who don't) come together to exchange opinions and experiences. It's not a tribunal, no one is submitting evidence to you and you're not entitled to see anyone's "data" (though if you show me yours I'll show you mine).

By now though we've established that you're such a boss climber with loads of experience who's never had to do an aerial rescue, or even ever heard of one happening, and you only work with super competent and similarly experienced people, so you definitely never need to practice AR.

Can you leave the folk who do want to discuss it to get on with it and stop drowning the thread in your piffle?

• Like 2