So here we go again....

Trailoftears

Grass works amazingly well,a good inch blanket on pre-watered soil (ideally),and replenish as it browns off and you see hints of the soil surface.Also should you feel the need to water it takes in water really well.The worms/surface soil life love it to bits!.I was taught that technically its a loss of nitrogen if you mulch,use uncomposted materials,but really, as long as you look after your veg beds re:manure etc,Ive had absolutely zero issues over many years.If you have loads of surplus grass clippings (he laughs bitterly on day 34 of zero rainfall),its silly not to use it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sime42 said:

It's only gonna get worse as well by all accounts. Don't think anyone was expecting climate change to happen this rapidly, and we've not quite got into the negative feedback loops yet either.

Do you have to use bedding plants? I don't bother with them or annuals generally, (apart from vegetables), as I can't be bothered with the faff they entail, planting every year and then watering all the time. Perennials are much easier. Regarding grass - maybe it's time to swap to that grass that they seem to use in southern Europe, Barcelona etc. It's not as nice, very course, but must be more drought tolerant. 

Some customers DO like their bedding tubs/hanging baskets-NOW they are gonna be fun to keep happy this year!As to veg, There's deffo a huge uptick in customers who want organic fresh veg in their garden with no airmiles,no chemicals and available on demand.Interesting that I've come full circle with this.Is it cost effective now-or 20 years ago to pay someone like me to grow your veg re:supermarket prices (even in these crazy inflationary days),noway hose!Still,its heartening to see a younger generation than myself get the quality over quantity argument and understanding you should eat whats in season on your doorstep seasonally.

• Like 1

So last night's downpour quenched the parched ground somewhat, and went some way towards replenishing the water butts. With more on the way this evening as well hopefully.

The next issue will be the rash of weeds that'll be sure to spring up over night!

Some useful rain last night locally 👏 slow and steady.Then going home it just briefly pissed it down with flashes of lighting thru dense mist.Really noticeable how much louder and more frequently the birds were singing today,I suspect it could be translated as "thank fekk for that".😄