Henley stoves

Guest Gimlet

Guest Gimlet

Anyone got any views on Henley stove? 

Had a quote for a Hazelwood £2900 fitted with liner and all the gubbins. Fitter says he doesn't supply Chinese-made stoves and rates these highly but I don't know much about them. 

I want a wood burner fitted in the house I've just bought but don't want to spend Esse money and wondered how these stack up.

I did do a search on here but it didn't reveal much and most post were from 2019. Wondered of there's anyone with more recent experience. 

Or can the fitters on here recommend anything else? I only need a 5 KW stove. Happy for it to be an eco wood burner only to future-proof myself against new legislation as I may sell the house on when I've done it up.

13 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Happy for it to be an eco wood burner only to future-proof myself against new legislation as I may sell the house on when I've done it up.

Surely once you've installed a Stove that meets current regulations future regulation changes dont matter when its time to sell? 

I bought a 5 kW multi fuel burner from B&Q!. Its a solid little chap, the chimney Sweep said he had one the same and his is 15 yrs old! You don't have to have a, Hetas certified fitter! You can fit it yourself as my brother and I have done but to comply with insurance etc you can then get approval from Building control officer at your local council for £180.  

Look at the Henley stoves web site,  says designed in Ireland, a 100% Irish owned company  but nothing about where its made or assembled,  no pictures of robot welders, laser cutters etc.  You will note that a question into Google asking where Henley stove are built is not met with a direct answer.

I think the final assembly is probably done in Ireland with the steelwork coming from China or eastern Europe,  most likely the former.     Several UK stove companies have a similar business model.  

If you want a 100% British build then Charnwood, Arada or Esse,   there may be others but those I have been to,  been inside their works and seen steel going in one end and stoves coming out of the other.

In my view Henley are not the best but they are not the worst either.

Your cost for the job would depend on what needs doing building work wise and of course the quality of the flue liner including what grade of stainless steel.  It sounds cheap and cheerful.      A good quality 5kw stove such as a Charnwood C5 or an Arada Holborn or Esse 105 will be around £1500,   flue parts for 10m of 316 grade flue liner and the other parts around £700,  all inc VAT.    plus installation and safety sign off.

A Hazelwood widescreen of the web is around 1k,   if you are able I would suggest that you pay a bit more and have a better one like the above but if the budget does not stretch that far  or you are only planning to be in the house a couple of years then look at the Arada Solution 5 widescreen,  similar price point but built in Axminster Devon from scratch  

The post above is correct,  you can DIY the install but getting a building inspector in to sign the installation off has no fixed fee.   Two towns within 10 miles of me,  one charges double what the other does. 

NO SIGN OFF = NO BUILDING INSURANCE IN THE EVENT OF A CLAIM.

Another point,  whoever sells it to you is legally responsible for any warranty aspects of the stove,  are they a Henley approved dealer,  if not your warranty period may be reduced.    This is why I alwaya advise using your local dealer for any given product as they are on hand if any issues arise.

A

Edited by Alycidon
Addional comments and spelling error.
  • Like 2