Fitting a rear dash cam to a panel van

Joe Newton

I got side swiped on the M1 today, a vehicle moving right to left was trying to avoid someone doing the same to him and clipped across my front bumper.

It's got me looking at getting a dash cam installed in my van. I can't afford not to really.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully mounted a rear facing dash cam onto a panel van. It seems like a pain and there's not a lot of options out there on line.

Forward facing only is better than nothing,  but I thought I'd see if anyone had done similar

• Sad 1

Cheers buddy, it's torn the front bumper off the volvo and a load of fluid pissed everywhere but hopefully it's washer fluid not rad.

All fine, the other driver was pretty shaken but I think it's worse when you know you've caused the accident.

The driver that hit me had front rear dashcams so they might get the other driver that didn't stop who caused him to crash into me, but it also clearly shows him changing lanes into me, so insurance should be pretty cut and dry.

Incredibly I was actually on the phone (hands free) to the police at the time of the collision, reporting a potential jumper hanging over the overpass. The whole m1 was closed minutes later. You couldn't write it 🙄

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Treewolf said:

What's the problem? Just get one with an external rear camera, such as a Blackview DR750 Truck. I've had one on the back of my double-cab Defender for years, it does the job very well.

No problem, I was asking for suggestions. Thank you for your input. 

On 13/05/2023 at 19:42, Joe Newton said:

Cheers buddy, it's torn the front bumper off the volvo and a load of fluid pissed everywhere but hopefully it's washer fluid not rad.

All fine, the other driver was pretty shaken but I think it's worse when you know you've caused the accident.

The driver that hit me had front rear dashcams so they might get the other driver that didn't stop who caused him to crash into me, but it also clearly shows him changing lanes into me, so insurance should be pretty cut and dry.

Incredibly I was actually on the phone (hands free) to the police at the time of the collision, reporting a potential jumper hanging over the overpass. The whole m1 was closed minutes later. You couldn't write it 🙄

Joe I got a satnav/dashcam for the truck, that's got aux connections for reversing or side cameras. About £130 on Ebay.

IMG_4867.thumb.JPG.edca19e0e7bd3354b0ef32d2308c15e0.JPGIMG_4866.thumb.JPG.f508a6c5e0e7e2bf97678dc5bbb7e7a0.JPGIMG_4865.thumb.JPG.e47ad5bd24b85e67052f8c29354879d4.JPG