Anyone else still using 1990s ride on mowers?

Muddy42

I have a 1994 14hp Bolens ride on mower (I think technically it’s a ride on tractor) with a heavy duty mulching deck.  I don’t use it the whole time, but its good as a backup and for large areas of long grass that only need cutting twice a year.  The machine is an absolute beast – I’ve given it a few hits on stumps and lumpy ground but it seems to shrug these off pretty easily. The deck is seriously heavy and robust.  So far I have only replaced all the minor things - drive belt, timing belt, solenoid, battery etc.. I service it and replace the oil and oil filter every year.  The engine and transmission seem fine.

However the deck is beginning to rust in places and needs welding and the spindle bearings need overhauling and replacing.  I weld and can do the work myself for about £50 in materials.  I suppose even if the deck gets really bad I could probably find a second hand one and adapt the brackets to fit with the welder. I am keen to keep it going but need some encouragement.  What are the major items that generally cause a ride-on to get scrapped?

Big house next-door were I cut grass have just retired a Murry 8/30 bought new in 1987, deck had been patched over patch, engine used oil bad, chassis weld ba k together. Engine part not available so going to scrap it unless anyone wants some parts. 

2 hours ago, woody paul said:

Big house next-door were I cut grass have just retired a Murry 8/30 bought new in 1987, deck had been patched over patch, engine used oil bad, chassis weld ba k together. Engine part not available so going to scrap it unless anyone wants some parts. 

Sounds in a lot worse condition than mine!

I guess I am fine spending £50 a year on an old mower (and lots of my 'free' repair hours) on it.

If anything happened to the engine or transmission, it would also probably be scrap as these parts are no longer available.

6 hours ago, Muddy42 said:

a 1994 14hp Bolens ride on mower (I think technically it’s a ride on tractor) with a heavy duty mulching deck. 

Well, if we want to get technical about these things, then you cannot possibly have a ride on tractor. In the mower world (and im talking about domestic use stuff like your bolens) a tractor mower is one that has its engine in front of the operator in the traditional layout and look of a farming tractor. A ride on mower on the other hand, is one whereby your seat is mounted above the engine (or in that general area) so effectively you 'ride-on' the engine.

Thats the basic difference.....helps when you are trying to sell different machines and everyone comes in and asks foir a tractor mower, when in reality they want a little ride on thing

Edited by pleasant
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, pleasant said:

Well, if we want to get technical about these things, then you cannot possibly have a ride on tractor. In the mower world (and im talking about domestic use stuff like your bolens) a tractor mower is one that has its engine in front of the operator in the traditional layout and look of a farming tractor. A ride on mower on the other hand, is one whereby your seat is mounted above the engine (or in that general area) so effectively you 'ride-on' the engine.

Thats the basic difference.....helps when you are trying to sell different machines and everyone comes in and asks foir a tractor mower, when in reality they want a little ride on thing

I didnt know that. Language evolves I suppose, most people think a ‘ride on’ is just a mower with a seat !

I’ve got an old Husqvarna lawn tractor with a very good 21hp Kawasaki engine - I’m trying to work out if the engines have any value as it’s just sitting in the way and needs moving on. It has a decent deck (removed but complete) but no grass box. The transmission is a bit weak imo, it works and doesn’t make any horrible noises but doesn’t seem to have as much ‘go’ in it as I’d expect. 

43 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’ve got an old Husqvarna lawn tractor with a very good 21hp Kawasaki engine - I’m trying to work out if the engines have any value as it’s just sitting in the way and needs moving on. It has a decent deck (removed but complete) but no grass box. The transmission is a bit weak imo, it works and doesn’t make any horrible noises but doesn’t seem to have as much ‘go’ in it as I’d expect. 

Have you checked the transmission fluid? It could be old and needing replaced or just topped up. 

• Like 1